Marvel loves their enigmatic teases. We’ve seen quite a few recently, for books like Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History, and events including Absolute Carnage and Marvel Comics #1000 (the latter had a ridiculously high number of teasers released). This morning, the publisher is at it again, releasing the following image with no further information:
The image features Blade, with the text “No Compromise. No Mercy.” and a promise that more information is coming next week.
That’s it. That’s literally all we have. And you might be thinking, ‘Well I guess we should wait to see what else they reveal before we try to figure out what this is for.’ And if that’s the case, dear reader, you’ve come to the wrong place, because it’s time for my favorite new segment…
LET’S SPECULATE ABOUT MARVEL TEASERS
- Blade recently joined Jason Aaron‘s Avengers team. Could Aaron be helming another Marvel event so soon after the conclusion of War of the Realms?
- The art of the Daywalker looks like it could be by the Savage Avengers art team of Mike Deodato Jr. and Frank Martin. Are the Savage Avengers and the Civilized Avengers going to throw down? Or otherwise crossover?
- Blade appears to be emerging from a fiery location. Does he get sent to Hell somehow? Is Mephisto involved? Or is that just something they added to the background of this teaser to give it a little more visual interest? What does it mean?
- The font used looks familiar, but I can’t quite place it. It looks vaguely Thor-y, but also somewhat Thanos-y, and not at all Iron Man-y. Will Thor and Thanos fight Blade and the Savage Avengers in Hell without the aid of Iron Man?!
- What does “6/11” mean? As a percentage that comes out to 54.5 percent. Does this event involve over half of the characters in the Marvel Universe?!?
- …I’m sorry, I’m being told “6/11” is actually a date. Okay. But what date? In the U.S., “6/11” is June 11th, but in Europe, “6/11” is November 6th — which happens to be a Wednesday this year! What secrets do “6/11” hide?!?!
Surely this is just the tip of the iceberg. What else do you notice about this teaser and what it might mean? Let us know in the comments, and check back for more information as it becomes available.
UPDATE 2:10 PM EASTERN: A second teaser has been released, this time featuring Monica Rambeau, aka Captain Marvel, aka Photon, aka leader of NEXTWAVE. Same text, different character.
That’s definitely Deodato art, or someone doing a pretty solid Deodato impression. I honestly don’t know what Monica’s been up to lately, so if anyone has any thoughts, please share with the class.
UPDATE 5:42 PM EASTERN: Add Wiccan from the Young Avengers to the list of character teasers.
Expect that plenty more of these will roll out before next week, though still probably not as many as there were for Marvel Comics #1000. Prove me wrong, Marvel. Prove me wrong.
Joe Grunenwald is a writer and editor living in the Pacific Northwest. He’s taller than a lot of people but not as tall as some people.