Neither audio plays nor YA projects have a great track record on Kickstarter, so the success of RAIN OF THE GHOSTS is a real outlier. But when you look under the hood, you can see why it succeeded: it’s an audio play adapting the YA novel by Greg Weisman, creator of Disney’s Gargoyles, one of the main writers for Star Wars Rebels and Young Justice, and currently the writer on Star Wars Kanan: The Last Padawan for Marvel. Weisman brought along some of his pals for the audio, including Marina Sirtis and Brent Spiner, among many other voice acting heavy hitters. You can see the whole list below.
While the project has been funded—is now the all-time most funded Young Adult project in Kickstarter’s Publishing division—they’re a few thousand $$$ short of the first stretch goal: a 20 page comic adapting the the book, with art by Christopher Jones. So get those funding bucks ready.
The story of the novel, first in a proposed series, involves a young girl coming to terms with her supernatural heritage.
Here’s the cast list:
• Thom Adcox (Gargoyles, Young Justice, Felix the Cat);
• Edward Asner (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Gargoyles, Up);
• Jeff Bennett (Gargoyles, Young Justice, Batman: The Brave and the Bold);
• Steve Blum (The Spectacular Spider-Man, Star Wars Rebels);
• Daniella Bobadilla (Anger Management, Smallville);
• Jim Cummings (Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, Winnie the Pooh);
• Elisa Gabrielli (Gargoyles, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Madagascar);
• Bryton James (Young Justice, The Young and the Restless);
• Josh Keaton (The Spectacular Spider-Man, Green Lantern: The Animated Series);
• Eric Lopez (The Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice);
• Vanessa Marshall (Young Justice, Star Wars Rebels, Guardians of the Galaxy);
• Jacqueline Obradors (NYPD Blue, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Young Justice);
• Gregg Rainwater (Gargoyles, Young Justice, The Young Riders);
• Marina Sirtis (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Gargoyles, Young Justice);
• Brent Spiner (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Gargoyles, Star Wars Rebels);
• Deborah Strang (The Spectacular Spider-Man);
• Joel Swetow (Charmed, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine);
• Jacob Vargas (Sons of Anarchy, Max Steel);
• Greg Weisman (The Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice).
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.