When we look back at 2018, one laugh we can cling to is the brilliant ad campaign for Deadpool 2, a campaign so creative and hilarious that it won a Clio award, the highest honor advertising can bestow.
But it seems that Sony has caught on to the laugh factor. And the trailer for the blu-ray/DVD release of Venom (due December 19th to stuff all stockings) shows that they are totally getting in on the fun.
Venom has been a worldwide hit, defying all reason, but maybe it’s the gonzo weirdness of it all that had audiences standing up and cheering. Or maybe it’s just Symbrock, the tender romance between man and symbiote, which this trailer puts front and center, focusing on that searing smooch.
As the line between fans and creators dissolves into an endless feedback loop, it is still quite amusing to see studio marketing increasingly attempting to cater to tumblr tags. And when they get it right, it can be very enjoyable.
More info on that Blu-Ray:
Bonus Materials Include:
- Venom Mode: When selecting this mode the film will engage informative pop-ups throughout the film to provide insight on the movie’s relationship to the comics, and to reveal hidden references that even a seasoned Venom-fan may have missed!
- Deleted & Extended Scenes: These deleted and extended scenes will give fans even more of the Venom action they loved in theaters!
- Ride to Hospital – Eddie and Venom take a ride to the hospital.
- Car Alarm – Let’s just say that Venom is not fond of car alarms.
- San Quentin – Extended post-credits scene at San Quentin.
- From Symbiote to Screen: A mini documentary about the history of Venom in comics and his journey to the big screen. Interviews with Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, Ruben Fleischer, Oliver Scholl, and Director and Comic Fanboy Kevin Smith.
- The Lethal Protector in Action: Go behind the scenes with the production crew and learn the secrets behind the awesome Motorcycle stunts, wire stunts, and drones.
- Venom Vision: A look at how Ruben Fleischer came to the project, gathered his team, and made Venom a reality. Utilizes interviews from cast, crew, and producers as well as Fleischer himself.
- Designing Venom: Designing and creating Venom meant a huge challenge for VFX artists; follow the amazing journey.
- Symbiote Secrets: Blink and you may have missed it! Enjoy the hidden references throughout the film.
- 8 Select Scenes Pre-Vis sequences: See the progression of the visual effects, storyboards and fight chorography compared to the finished film.
- “Venom” by Eminem – Music Video
- “Sunflower” by Post Malone, Swae Lee (From Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sneak Peek: Meanwhile in another universe…
4K Ultra HD™ Includes:
Feature film presented with Dolby Vision high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound
Also includes the film and special features on the included high-def Blu-ray
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.