Although DC has a pretty huge line-up of VPs and SVPs on their masthead, with VPs for Marketing & Global Franchise Management, Content Strategy, Strategy Planning and Reporting, Editorial Strategy and Administration, Sales & Business Development, Sales Planning & Trade Development, Marketing, and Global Franchise Management, they are still looking for a VP of Business Affairs. This position was formerly held by Jack Mahan, so although the timing combined with today’s poor October sales showing for DC may be amusing, this job is more about negotiating overall industry deals, not sales.
VP, Business Affairs
DC Entertainment – Burbank, CA
SUMMARY OF POSITION
DC Entertainment seeks a Vice President, Business Affairs for the Business Affairs department. The position will lead DCE’s Business Affairs functions that include negotiating commercial terms for DCE’s business relationships, in partnership with DCE / WB department leads, and informed by research / analysis of competitive market conditions.
Types of deals include: Talent / Creator; Distribution / Channel Partner; Interco Media / Merchandise; Print Vendor, etc.
• In partnership with Editorial Strategy & Administration / Business Planning, acquire & maintain current competitive information around creator compensation & other remuneration to inform types of talent deal arrangements for each of DCE’s three imprints: DC, Vertigo, MAD.
• Propose / develop talent compensation & other remuneration models that reinforce DCE’s business strategy / objectives of being the top destination for creative talent to both sustain a vibrant comic publishing business and drive IP generation for the Studio.
• Oversee DC’s talent related business matters, including all property rights acquisitions and talent contract negotiations. Types of agreements with key talent include: Exclusive Deals, Creator Owned Deals, Character Equity Deals, Work Continuity Agreements, etc.
• Support Co-Pubs & other team members on Creative Culture Project by providing pro-active / routine feedback on key talent business matters.
• In partnership with Sales / Business Planning, acquire & maintain current competitive information around comic distribution models to inform types of distribution / new channel partner deal arrangements.
• Propose competitive arrangements with distribution / channel partners that reinforce DCE’s business strategy / objectives of audience expansion into digital, international, mass & other channels.
• Working with Sales, negotiate commercial terms with existing & new distribution partners that include: Diamond, Random House, Amazon / Comixology, Google, etc.
• Advise Sales team on developing risk mitigation plans for business concentrated with key customers: Diamond, Random House & Amazon.
• In partnership with Creative & Franchise Management / Business Planning, acquire & maintain current competitive information around media / merchandise rights deal arrangements.
• Propose competitive arrangements with intercompany business units that reinforce DCE’s business strategy / objectives of creating value for WB.
• Working with Creative, negotiate terms for media / merchandise agreements with intercompany business units: Pictures, Television, Games, Digital, Blue Ribbon, Consumer Products, etc.
• Support all other areas of DCE in negotiating commercial terms in support of business operations, such as with print partners, marketing agencies, consultants, etc.
• Other special projects as required.
• BA/BS degree required.
• JD and/or MBA required.
• Minimum 10 years experience in Business Affairs required—negotiating commercial terms with key business partners in support of strategic objectives.
• Entertainment and/or publishing industry experience required.
• Effective & proven negotiation / communication skills.
• Capable of building / maintaining strong relationships with business partners.
• Sound judgment with ability to balance risk / reward in deal making.
• Awareness / understanding of business strategies & priorities.
• Able to supervise, motivate & evaluate subordinates.
• Must have the ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with persons on all levels, in person and on the telephone.
• Must have the ability to pay close attention to detail and understand written and oral instructions.
• Must have the ability to organize and schedule work effectively.
• Must have the ability to multi-task and work well under time constraints.
• Must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
• Must be able to work independently and meet deadlines.
• Must be able to travel domestically and internationally.