During the Golden Globes last night (did I hallucinate or did Bohemian Rhapsody really win a Best Picture prize?), HBO unveiled its first footage of the Damon Lindelof “adaptation” of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ Watchmen. It wasn’t much…about five seconds worth, but it gave us a glimpse of perhaps how the Lost/Leftovers mastermind is leaning into the material…Eric Morrow over at Buzzfeed cut down the video the relevant portion, so you don’t have to wade through anything else:
🚨WATCHMEN HBO SHOW FIRST LOOK pic.twitter.com/eaXGsCW23I
— Eric Morrow (@morroweric) January 7, 2019
What do we have there?
- What looks to be Jean Smart riding in an SUV toward an old mansion guarded by masked cops (she’s playing an FBI agent named Blake)
- A guy wearing a shiny gold mask, perhaps at a crime scene? Part of me wonders if this is supposed to be Tim Blake Nelson’s new character Looking Glass – described as: A good looking cop, the native Oklahoman isn’t simple as his rural accent makes him appear to be. A top interrogator and behavioral scientist, he may also be a bit of a sociopath.
- Cowboy hat guy, who also seems to be in the previous frame with the fellow in the gold mask
- Jeremy Irons, presumably playing the lone carry-over character from the comics in Adrian Veidt, according to reports. It looks like Agent Blake might be headed to Veidt’s manor perhaps if I had to guess. Curiouser and Curiouser
- A sort of Rorschach-looking fellow who perhaps might be inspired by Walter Kovacs?
Keep in mind, this new series is more of a sequel to the comics – it’s set in the same world, and by all accounts, the events of Watchmen happened in the past of the show. It also stars Regina King, Don Johnson, Louis Gossett Jr., Adelaide Clemons, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison and more. If I was a betting man, I’d wager this will kick off in the Summer, right after Game of Thrones runs its course.