Official word of the first Disney+ content has arrived, and the list is good, very good.
It includes several original shows based on characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There will also be an animated Marvel’s What If…? show, a docuseries about the making of Frozen 2, and several projects from Pixar based on Toy Story. That’s in addition to previously announced content, including the first-ever scripted live Star Wars series, The Mandalorian. Disney announced all of this Thursday at its Investor Day event.
The other big news is that the streaming service will launch in the United States on November 12, at $6.99 a month. Subsequently, Disney+ content will continue to expand too. In total, the first year is slated to have more than 25 series and 10 films. A full list of today’s new programming announcements follows.
New Disney+ Series
From Marvel Studios:
- The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, a live-action series with Anthony Mackie returning as Falcon and Sebastian Stan reprising his role as Winter Soldier
- WandaVision, a live-action series with Elizabeth Olsen returning as Wanda Maximoff and Paul Bettany reprising his role as The Vision
- Marvel’s What If…?, the first animated series from Marvel Studios and takes inspiration from the comic books of the same name. Each episode will explore a pivotal moment from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and turn it on its head, leading the audience into uncharted territory.
From Walt Disney Animation Studios:
- Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2, a documentary series showing the hard work and imagination that go into making one of the most highly anticipated Walt Disney Animation Studios features of all time
From Pixar Animation Studios:
- Toy Story-based projects Forky Asks a Question, an animated short series, and the short film Lamp Life
From National Geographic:
- The World According to Jeff Goldblum, a documentary series where Goldblum pulls back the curtain on a seemingly familiar object to reveal a world of astonishing connections, fascinating science and a whole lot of big ideas
- Magic of the Animal Kingdom, a documentary series which takes viewers behind the scenes with the highly respected animal-care experts, veterinarians and biologists at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Epcot’s SeaBase aquarium
From Disney Television Animation:
- The Phineas and Ferb Movie (working title), an animated film featuring many of the original voice cast