A fourth honor — The Giant of the North — is a Hall of Fame for Canadian creators. This year’s selection is the lateAlbert Chartier, a popular comic strip artist on such features as Séraphin, Les Canadiens and Onésime, a strip which last ed amere 59 years (from November 1943 until June 2002). Chartier died in 2004 at the age of 91.
The poster for this year’s awards is by nominee Ethan Rilly.
The Awards will be presented on May 11th, at the Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel on Saturday May 11 from 7:00 – 9:00 pm. (This is a new locale from last year, and at the TCAF headquarters hotel.) An art auction will be held this spring to raise funds for the wards, with contributions by more than a dozen well-known Canadian cartoonists, including Chester Brown, Seth, Michael DeForge, Michael Cho, John Martz, David Collier and David Boswell.
And the nominees are:
- Lose #4 by Michael DeForge (Koyama Press)
- By This Shall You Know Him by Jesse Jacobs (Koyama Press)
- The Song of Roland by Michel Rabagliati (Conundrum Press)
- Pope Hats #3 by Ethan Rilly (AdHouse Books)
- Wax Cross by Tin Can Forest (Koyama Press)
The nominees for the 2013 Doug Wright Spotlight Award (a.k.a. “The Nipper”) which recognizes Canadian cartooning talents worthy of wider recognition are:
- Nina Bunjevac for Heartless (Conundrum Press)
- Brandon Graham for King City (Image Comics)
- Patrick Kyle for Black Mass, Distance Mover, Wowee Zonk #4
- George Walker for The Mysterious Death of Tom Thomson (The Porcupine’s Quill)
- Eric Kostiuk Williams for Hungry Bottom Comics
And the nominees for the 2013 Pigskin Peters Award, which recognizes the best in experimental or avant-garde comics are:
- Hamilton Illustrated by David Collier (Wolsak & Wynn)
- Hellberta #2 and “Sir Softly” from š! #12, by Michael Comeau
- Michael DeForge, Larry Eisenstein, Jesse Jacobs, Mark Laliberte (editor), Marc Ngui, Ethan Rilly, Tin Can Forest and Magda Trzaski from 4PANEL, a special comics features in Carousel Magazine #28, 29
- Ginette Lapalme for “So, what should we do with ourselves?…” from Wowee Zonk #4
“Little Stump” in š! #12
e finalists for the 2013 Doug Wright Awards were chosen from a long list of more than 120 100 works and submissions published during the 2012 calendar year. This year’s nominating committee included Jerry Ciccoritti, Seth, Bryan Munn, Chris Randle and Sean Rogers.
Shireen Cuthbert [email protected]
For more information about the DWAs: