On Saturday, at 11am in room 1A02 at NYCC, Dynamite is having a panel to celebrate Red Sonja’s 45th anniversary. The panel topic is, “Dynamite Presents 45 Years of Seeing Red: Celebrate Red Sonja’s History and Her Battle for Female Empowerment in Comics,” and is scheduled to include Amy Chu, Gail Simone, Louise Simonson, Erik Mona, Larry Hama, Janice Chiang and Janie Mackenzie.
Official PR follows:
Dynamite Entertainment is pleased to announce their appearance at 2017’s New York Comic-Con (BOOTH #1829), as well as the topic and guests for their exciting panel, celebrating Red Sonja’s 45th anniversary! The panel topic is, “Dynamite Presents 45 Years of Seeing Red: Celebrate Red Sonja’s History and Her Battle for Female Empowerment in Comics,” and will include special guest panelists representing some of the finest creators in the comic book industry!The time, location, and focus of Dynamite’s panel is summarized below:DYNAMITE PRESENTS: 45-YEARS OF SEEING RED: CELEBRATE RED SONJA’S HISTORY AND HER BATTLE FOR FEMALE EMPOWERMENT IN COMICS!Saturday, 10/7/16, 11:00am – 12:00pmLocation: Room 1A02Robert E. Howard’s She-Devil with a Sword, the classic sorcery heroine Red Sonja, made her comic book debut in 1973’s Conan the Barbarian #23 by Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith, before evolving into the archetypical example of the duality between femininity and fierceness that she is today. Join iconic creators Amy Chu, Gail Simone, Louise Simonson, Erik Mona, Larry Hama and more, as they dissect Red Sonja’s more than four-decade history and trailblazing impact on strong female characters in comics.Panel guests include*:
- Amy Chu (Writer, Red Sonja)
- Gail Simone (Writer, Red Sonja)
- Louise Simonson (Writer, Red Sonja)
- Erik Mona (Writer, Pathfinder: Worldscape)
- Larry Hama (Editor, Red Sonja)
- Janice Chiang (Letterer, Red Sonja)
- Janie Mackenzie (Moderator, PR Coordinator – Dynamite)*Guestsubject to change.“As a woman working in the comic book industry, I find it both exciting and imperative to dissect the duality between the fierceness and femininity that Red Sonja embodies,” says Janie Mackenzie, Public Relations Coordinator and Social Media Manager for Dynamite. “I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to moderate such a positive discussion, with an amazing group of creators that have communicated the character’s strength while providing a road map to empowerment for more than four decades!”“Red Sonja was Dynamite’s second published title, and our first to sell close to 250,000 issues. With millions of comic books sold, as an inspiration to hundreds of admirers in the comic book community, and for so many other reasons, Red Sonja has a wide, well-deserved following with diverse passions,” says Nick Barrucci, CEO and Publisher of Dynamite. “For forty-five years, Red Sonja has proven to be a trailblazer for women within the comic book community and paved the way for many of the strong female characters we see today. We could not be more honored to host such an incredible group of creators for our panel, each representing an important period in the development of the “She-Devil with a Sword!”In addition to the panel on Saturday morning, Dynamite will host several creators at their booth (#1829) for limited signing appearances*, including:THURSDAY, 10/5:
- 2:00 – 3:00: Steve Orlando and Giovanni Timpano (Writer and Artist, Shadow/Batman)
- 3:30 – 4:30: Erik Mona (Writer, Pathfinder: Worldscape)FRIDAY, 10/6:
- 1:00 – 2:00: Steve Orlando and Giovanni Timpano (Writer and Artist, Shadow/Batman)
- 3:30 – 4:30: Erik Mona (Writer, Pathfinder: Worldscape)SATURDAY, 10/7:
- 10:30 – 11:30: Benjamin Percy (Writer, James Bond: Black Box)
- 1:00 – 2:00: Erica Schultz and Maria Sanapo (Writer and Artist, Charmed)
- 2:00 – 3:00: Amy Chu (Writer, Red Sonja, KISS)SUNDAY, 10/8:
- 11:00 – 12:00: Benjamin Percy (Writer, James Bond: Black Box)
- 12:30 – 1:30: Amy Chu (Writer, Red Sonja, KISS)
- 2:00 – 3:00: Steve Orlando and Giovanni Timpano (Writer and Artist, Shadow/Batman)*Please note: Signing times are subject to change.Dynamite Entertainment is also proud to announce New York Comic-Con exclusive comic books and collectible giveaways not available anywhere else! Full details for these special events are below.NYCC Exclusive Comics:Dynamite will offer convention exclusive foil covers for some of their top 2017 titles, including Shadow/Batman #1, Hack/Slash vs. Vampirella #1, Sheena #1, The Librarians #1, and Killer Instinct #1! Additionally, Dynamite will also offer the Dynamite 2017 Convention Cosplay Special, a 32-page flip-book featuring some of Dynamite’s best cosplayer covers and cosplayers including Ashley Du, Ireland Reid, Dangrrr Doll, Joanie Brosas, and many more!NYCC Free Giveaways:Dynamite will be giving away convention exclusive Red Sonja trading cards, along with exclusive pins for titles including James Bond: Casino Royale, Bettie Page, Mighty Mouse, Red Sonja, and Bob’s Burgers!
Todd Allen wears a lot of hats. At various times he’s been (alphabetically), a bouncer, college professor, humor columnist, Internet producer and an NBA/WNBA Beat Writer, among other things. He’s the author of Economics of Digital Comics. You should probably read it.