Do you have what it takes to juggle a bunch of monthly comics, dealing with freelancers, Diamond, retailers and the comics press? If you’re up for it, IDW is hiring! Here’s the deets:
Editor, IDW Publishing
IDW Publishing is seeking an experienced Editor to support the Chief Creative Officer.
This is a full-time position located in our San Diego, CA offices.
Essential job responsibilities include:
* Manage 8-10 comic-book titles per month. This includes management of all aspects of your titles’ development, including but not limited to:
o Developing story ideas and proposals with writers, hire creative team and work with team to ensure deadlines are consistently met
o Ensuring licensor or creator approval at all stages, including proposal, script, cover art, solicitation copy, b&w art, color art, and final lettered PDFs
o Manage all other tasks associated with producing titles that meet the approval of creators and licensors and preparing titles for printing
• Attend daily production meetings and update the Chief Creative Officer on status of all your projects
• Develop and maintain positive working relationships with licensors, creators, retailers, and press
• Brainstorm with the Editorial group on new directions or creators for existing licensed books, new creator-owned titles, and potential new licenses to pursue
• Assist marketing dept. with development of press releases and marketing materials
• Maintain relationship with Diamond Distribution
o Prepare monthly comic-book solicitations and cover images for your titles
o Prepare quarterly book solicitations for your titles
• Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience
• Employment eligibility to work with IDW Publishing in our San Diego offices. No telecommuting option is available for this position.
• Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
• Strong knowledge of and interest in the comic-book industry
• Must be extremely detail-oriented, able to both line-edit and copy-edit
• Maintain strict monthly schedules on comic-book titles, including anticipating challenges and find timely, relevant solutions
If interested, qualified candidates should send resumes and cover letters to Jobs@idwpublishing.com. We will begin contacting qualified applicants in early- to mid-February.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.