Last night the first Harvey awards under the auspices of New York Comic Con were handed out and the winners are:
- Book of the Year: MONSTRESS by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda (Image)
- Digital Book of the Year – BARRIER by Brian K. Vaughn, Marcos Martin and Muntsa Vicente (Panel Syndicate)
- Best Children or Young Adult Book: Tie between THE PRINCE AND THE DRESSMAKER by Jen Wang (First Second) and THE TEA DRAGON SOCIETY, by Katie O’Neill (Oni Press)
- Best Adaptation from a Comic Book/Graphic Novel: BLACK PANTHER (Walt Disney Pictures) – Directed by Ryan Coogler. Adapted from “Black Panther” (Marvel Comics)
- Best Manga: MY LESBIAN EXPERIENCE WITH LONELINESS by Nagata Kabi (Seven Seas)
- Best European Book: CALIFORNIA DREAMIN’: CASS ELLIOT BEFORE THE MAMAS & THE PAPAS by Pénélope Bagieu (First Second)
Not a clunker in the bunch.
The Harvey Awards Steering Committee, which oversees the rules, procedures, and categories for the awards, is co-chaired by Nellie Kurtzman, John Lind, and Chip Mosher. Calvin Reid was the host for the evening. Roz Chast and Dave Gibbons were inducted into the Hall of Fame. Chastmthe first woman to ever make it to the Harvey HoF was sadly unable to attend due to having shingles. Gibbons ws on hadn and delivered a speech with his usual charm. Jackie Estrada was there to accept a much deserved Comics Industry Pioneer Award and Harold and Harold Sakuishi (BECK) received the International Spotlight Award.
“Tonight was a very special evening. To be inducted into the Harvey Awards Hall of Fame alongside such a luminary as Roz is a huge honor,” said Gibbons in a statdement. “The diverse list of winners and the work on offer is a testament to the strength of our industry.”
“I am honored to enter the Harvey Awards Hall of Fame with an amazing peer like Dave,” said Chast in her own statement. “It’s also terrific to see some of the other winners tonight. The diversity of talent shows how the industry is evolving to reflect all viewpoints, regardless of gender and color.”
Disclosure: The Beat was the major sponsor of this year’s Harvey Awards.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.