This may be a crazy time for the media, but the craziest thing of all is that The Beat is hiring a Managing Editor. This will be a full time position for one very special person who can withstand the gales of Comic-Con and the trauma of the Oxford comma while explaining who the third Summers brother is.
Alex Lu, currently managing editor, is moving over to a new position as New Media Editor where he’ll work on our podcast and video efforts as well as continuing to do all the insightful writing he already does.
This is a pretty momentous event for The Beat. I’ve kept this site running for more than a decade fueled only by coffee and Amon Tobin. Since we were acquired by Syndicated Comics we’ve been able to make a lot of my dreams come true for the site, and hiring another staffer is a huge one.
We’re here for the long haul.
More info and how to apply below.
The Beat, the daily news blog of comics news, reviews, and information is seeking an individual with previous editorial experience with an online or print publication as Managing Editor. The Managing Editor will be critical in helping The Beat and its writers maintain their unique and fearless voice.
As the Managing Editor you will be responsible for:
- Overseeing daily content, assigning news stories, managing beat writers and developing features with staff
- Long range planning for events, holidays and promotions
- Manage the budget of the publication
- Troubleshoot basic technical problems
- Collaborate with publishers and staff to develop exclusive content
- Edit stories for accuracy, consistency and quality
- Ensure posts, social media and images are correctly formatted
- Supervise freelance writers
- Bachelors Degree in English, Journalism or related field
- 3 years of experience with an online or print publication
- Previous management experience for a daily web publication with a diverse readership
- Knowledge of social media, SEO and SERPs
- Knowledge of WordPress, Trello, Microsoft Office and graphics programs
- Strong insight into the comics and entertainment industries
- Excellent communication skills
- Paid Holidays
- Life Insurance
To apply, please send your resume, writing samples and salary requirements to: Jobs@syndicatedcomics.com