For those few who are unfamiliar with the 2.5D concept, take a gander below from official Super Live production in Japan-
Sailor Moon joins the likes of Spider-Man, SpongeBob, and King Kong of properties I don’t think anyone could have imagined would premiere on Broadway in the last decade. Details were scarce at first, but good things come to those who wait as today tickets are now available for purchase. I’m sure fans will be flocking from all over the country will be flocking to the East coast for this one of a kind experience, so start planning your trip and get your tix ASAP!
“Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” The Super Live, a new live 2.5D Musical entertainment based on the wildly popular manga (comic book) will play at the PlayStation Theater (1515 Broadway at 44th Street) for three performances on March 29 at 8PM and March 30 at 1PM and 5PM. Directed and choreographed by TAKAHIRO (Madonna’s Sticky and Sweet Tour) with book by Akiko Kodama(Takarazuka Revue Company), and music by HYADAIN (Momoiro Clover Z; AKB48). “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” The Super Live will have its US premiere in Washington DC for one performance only at The Warner Theatre on March 24, along with its run in New York. With its themes of love, justice and friendship, the musical features an all-female cast; there are some male characters, played by women.
One of the most popular mangas of all time, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon has sold over 36 million copies worldwide. Created by Naoko Takeuchi, Sailor Moon began as a manga in 1991 in Japan in a girl’s comic magazine, “Nakayosi”, published by Kodansha. It was subsequently adapted as an anime program (Japanese animation), and a live-action television program. A sequel to the series is also now in production. In “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” The Super Live, the characters come to life, live on stage and itwas produced in part to commemorate the 25th anniversary since Sailor Moon was first published. The brand has generated $5 billion in merchandise sales.
“Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” The Super Live marks the first time a 2.5D Musical will be on an American stage. 2.5D Musicals, which began around 2000, are based on popular contemporary Japanese culture: manga comics, anime and video games. Manga and animation are in 2D, and live theatre is in 3D. Therefore, they call performances based on manga and animations 2.5D. A theatre has been built in Japan to house this popular new form of entertainment.
“At its core, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon is about strong girlfriends banding together to fight for what they believe in…that’s timely,” said producer Takaharu Uera. “Sailor Moon and her Sailor Guardians are equipped with powers that help them defeat evil and the characters are imbued with the self-determination to make their own confident decisions. In short, they are the ultimate example of ‘girl power.’ We look forward to introducing American audiences to Sailor Moon, her Guardians and the 2.5D Musical experience.”
This production of “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” The Super Live premiered on August 31, 2018 at the AiiA 2.5 Theater Tokyo. After its world premiere in Tokyo, it played a run in Paris earlier this year prior to its Washington D.C. and New York premieres in 2019.
“Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” The Super Live will be performed in Japanese with English supertitles.
The cast of “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” The Super Live includes: Tomomi Kasai, Momoko Kaechi, Yui Hasegawa, Kanna Matsuzaki, Yu Nakanishi, Makoto Aikawa, Reo Sanada, Atsumi Matsubayashi, Izumi Niihashi, Ayumi Higashikawa, Moeko Koizumi, Hinako Aikawa and Riona Tatemichi,.
“Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” The Super Live is produced by Nelke Planning and New York Producer Kumiko Yoshii for Gorgeous Entertainment.
“Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” The Super Live plays at The PlayStation Theater (1515 Broadway at 44th Street) on March 29 and 30. Performances are Friday, March 29 at 8PM and Saturday, March 30 at 1PM and 5PM. Tickets are $30 – $75. The $75 Premium package (including One Orchestra Seat / Early Entry / High Five with Lead Cast Members / and a Collectible Gift) is available. For tickets, please visit http://www.axs.com/series/7969/pretty-guardian-sailor-moon-the-super-live-tickets or call 888-929-7849. For more information, please visit: http://sailormoon-official.com/stage/superlive/us
- “Codename: Sailor V” on which “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” was based made its debut in a manga magazine
- “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” began running in the manga magazine Nakayosi in December.
- The anime television series, “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon R” premiered in March and ran through 1997 with 200 episodes.
- “Sailor Moon R: The Movie” – the first ever Sailor Moon animated theatrical feature film hit theaters in December.
- “Sailor Moon S: The Movie” – animated theatrical feature film hit theaters in December.
- “Sailor Moon SuperS: The Movie” hit the theaters accompanied by “Sailor Moon SuperS Plus: Ami’s First Love” in December.
- “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon R” premiere in Canada on August 28 with English subtitles.
- “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon R” premiered in the US on September 11 with English subtitles.
- A live-action television adaptation, “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon”, aired from 2003 to 2004
- The amine series rights were acquired and began streaming on Neon Alley and Hulu on May 19.
- A second anime series, “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal”, was seen between 2015 to 2016.
- A sequel to “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal” began development.
- “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” The Super Live premiered in Tokyo from August 31 to September 9, and performed in Paris on November 3 and 4.
Taimur Dar is the Digital Media Producer and Marketing Expert for the Beat. He has earned a master’s degree in marketing intelligence from Fordham University and has provided branding strategies for various companies and organizations. His name is pronounced like the first two syllables of “tomorrow” in case you were wondering.