Specifically…a Senior Vice President, Sales & Business Development. Despite what it sounds like, the position doesn’t seem to be replacing EVP of Sales, Marketing and Business Development John Rood or SVP Sales Bob Wayne and is a new position. It is, however located on the West Coast, and would seem to duplicate a lot of duties currently held by East Coast personnel, and could reflect the recent restructuring. So…a sidekick for John Rood?
If you have what it takes, here’s the job description:
Senior Vice President, Sales & Business Development
DC Entertainment – Burbank, CA
SUMMARY OF POSITION
E.C. Publications, Inc. seeks a Senior Vice President, Sales & Business Development for the Sales & Business Development department. Position will oversee sales strategy, distribution, and business development for the DCE publishing brands (DC Comics, Vertigo, MAD). Organize a Sales Team and manage them to clear and measurable priorities. Analyze reporting data to develop strategies that feed overall business planning and decision making, in partnership with several departments.
• Develop strategy for expanding worldwide consumer reach of DC Publishing content and Collectibles merchandise across DCE’s imprints—DC Comics, Vertigo, MAD—that includes both Physical (comic shop specialty market, book sellers, mass) & Digital distribution platform channels.
• Coordinate the strategy with co-publishers and executive team, as well as colleagues in other DCE departments.
• Develop business plans and operating models that achieve key strategic objectives of expanded distribution translating into sales & margin growth.
• Explore and evaluate feasibility of developing new business models aimed at exploiting newly created & library content that may include new product formatting, subscriptions, windowing, variable pricing by channel, customer loyalty programs, co-op marketing, etc.
• Maintain comprehensive understanding of strengths/challenges facing Physical & Digital distribution partners in the Publishing marketplace.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with partners that include top digital brands, publishing brands, physical distribution partners, retailers big and small, and several Warner Bros. divisions.
• Engage in ongoing performance evaluation of channel partners that may involve developing plans to expand, consolidate or replace relationships.
• Create sales analytical models to evaluate performance. For each forecast cycle, develop unit sales forecasting models that consider product format, release schedule & windowing, pricing assumptions, issue erosion rates by channel and backlist sales assumptions.
• Build collaborative organization with strong capabilities in Business Planning, Account Relationship Management, and Sales Analytics / Forecasting.
• Attract, develop, and lead Sales & Business Development organization that raises individual and collective performance through goal setting, annual planning, profitability tracking, and sales reporting.
• 4 yr college degree required. Emphasis in Business preferred. MBA preferred.
• Minimum of 10 years Sales experience required.
• General Management experience/interest required.
• Experience leading high-performing teams – developing and motivating superior talent.
• Sales Analytics and Financial experience required.
• Publishing or other Consumer Package Goods experience required.
• Mass retailer experience strongly preferred.
• Entertainment experience strongly preferred.
• E-commerce & Digital experience strongly preferred.
• International business development experience strongly preferred.
• Strong executive presence required.
• Must have proven success meeting and exceeding aggressive sales goals.
• Must possess excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
• Ability to pitch to senior internal and external decision makers.
• Must have extensive relationships with distribution partners.
• Must be able to maintain project confidentiality.
• Proven track-record of managing own workflow to meet tight deadlines while handling high volume of work with a great attention to detail-specific information.
• Knowledge of publishing and comics industries required.
• Knowledge of toys and collectible merchandise business preferred.
• Ability to travel approximately 33%.
• Flexibility to respond to off-hours business needs.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.