Scholastic sent out their Summer 2019 catalog this week, and as they are the #1 graphic novel publisher in the US, I thought you might like to see their lead offerings – with a few bonus preview pages even. Leading the way, Raina Telgemeier and Jeff Smith, but also…Bruce Lee. And Scott Morse, whom I haven’t seen a book from in a while.
- Calling all fans of Raina Telgemeier! Get ready to create comics and tell your own story in Share Your Smile: Raina’s Guide to Telling Your Own Story. With guidance from Raina herself, brainstorm ideas, make lists, paste in personal photos, and use your imagination like never before to create your own stories.
- From comics rising star Sarah Graley, comes Glitch—a fresh and funny middle-grade graphic novel featuring a girl who must save a virtual world… and her own!
- Join three monster brothers as they get into trouble on a wacky adventure to save their failing pizza parlor in Joey Ellis’s Wolfie Monster and the Big Bad Pizza Battle!
- In Dugout: The Zombie Steals Home by Scott Morse, twins Stacy and Gina Cavallaro are on rival little league teams, and when Gina accidentally unleashes a curse that wakes the dead, Stacy’s misfit team gets coached by a baseball-playing zombie!
- As the world knows, Bruce Lee found his salvation and calling through kung fu—first as a student, then as a teacher, and finally as a global star. In The Boy Who Became a Dragon, Jim Di Bartolo tells his story in brilliant comic form.
· From Jeff Smith, the creator of the internationally bestselling and award-winning BONE series, comes, the second charming and funny picture book to feature the Bone cousins! Finding a coin leads to unexpected adventure—and lots of delighted giggles for young readers.
BONUS: For all you She-Ra fans two illustrated prose novels are coming. No previews alas!
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.