Marvel has announced Marvel Super Stories, a middle-grade anthology of stories featuring Marvel’s most popular heroes written and illustrated by some of the biggest names in comics for young readers. The publisher’s latest collaboration with Abrams, the anthology is edited by John Jennings, who also contributed a Daredevil story to the book, and will be available on October 17th, 2023. Among the many big-name and award-winning cartoonists featured in the book are Jerry Craft with a Black Panther story, Gale Galligan taking on Shang-Chi, and Ben Hatke telling a Hawkeye tale.
John Jennings shared this immense enthusiasm:
“I’m so thrilled to have helped bring this amazing collection of Marvel stories to a new generation! Working with these super talented storytellers has been a dream. Marvel Comics is an institution that has inspired so many imaginations across the world, including my own. With Marvel Super Stories we get to continue that legacy, presenting the best and brightest creators coupled with the most marvelous heroes.”
Here’s the full list of creators with six-page stories in the book:
- Black Panther: Jerry Craft (New Kid)
- Wiccan: Mike Curato (Flamer)
- Miles Morales Spider-Man: C. G. Esperanza (Soul Food Sunday)
- Iron Man: John Gallagher (Max Meow)
- Shang-Chi: Gale Galligan (The Baby-Sitters Club)
- The Hulk: Chris Giarrusso (G-Man)
- Spider-Man: Nathan Hale (Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales)
- Captain America: Michael Lee Harris (Choco Leche)
- Hawkeye: Ben Hatke (Zita the Spacegirl)
- Ms. Marvel: Priya Huq (Piece by Piece: The Story of Nisrin’s Hijab)
- Daredevil: John Jennings (Kindred: The Graphic Novel Adaptation)
- Thor and Loki: George O’Connor (The Olympians)
- Namor: Lincoln Peirce (Big Nate)
- Squirrel Girl: Maria Scrivan (Nat Enough)
- Ghost Spider: Jessi Zabarsky (Witchlight)
Marvel Super Stories borrows part of its title from the old Spidey Super Stories series of the late ’70s and early ’80s. That series, aimed at younger readers, ran for 57 issues and was itself a tie-in to the “Spidey Super Stories” segments featured on the PBS series The Electric Company at the time. The new anthology is the latest entry in the collaboration between Marvel and Abrams, which has seen the two publishers team most recently for Alex Ross‘s Fantastic Four: Full Circle graphic novel.
Look for the hardcover Marvel Super Stories anthology to arrive in stores on October 17th, 2023.