I remember the days when seeing a real live comic strip artist was rare indeed, but now they’re coming out of their shell! GoComics and Andrews McMeel (publisher of all those comic strips collections you love so much)will be at Comic-Con (Booth #1503) and lots of cool folks—from Dana Simpson to Stephen Pastis—and books—Peanuts! Cul de Sac!—will be there. Here’s the list:
• A selection of books for purchase, including the recently released “Exploring Calvin and Hobbes: An Exhibition Catalogue,” which includes a fascinating, in-depth interview with Bill Watterson; New York Times bestsellers from The Oatmeal (Matthew Inman), including his most recent release, “The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances”; “Breaking Stephan” by Stephan Pastis; and “Unicorn on a Roll: Another Phoebe and Her Unicorn Adventure” by Dana Simpson and “Big Nate: Say Good-bye to Dork City” by Lincoln Peirce, two recently released offerings from AMP! Comics for Kids, especially for middle-
• GoComics, the world’s largest online collection of syndicated and web-only comics, offers an online catalog and mobile app providing iconic comics such as Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, Dilbert, Garfield and FoxTrot as well as other popular comics, including The Argyle Sweater, Jim Benton Cartoons, Pearls Before Swine, Phoebe and Her Unicorn and Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal (SMBC).
• Scheduled one-hour, free signings by creators including Brooke McEldowney (9 Chickweed Lane, Pibgorn), Dana Simpson (Phoebe and Her Unicorn), Greg Evans (Luann), Jason Chatfield (Ginger Meggs) and Stephan Pastis (Pearls Before Swine).
• Daily giveaways featuring free GoComics PRO memberships, bookmarks, buttons and other comic-related promotional items, as well as daily drawings for major comic collections, including “The Complete Calvin and Hobbes,” “The Complete Cul de Sac,” “The Complete Far Side” and “Celebrating Peanuts.”
• In honor of the 30th anniversary of Calvin and Hobbes, archive-quality prints of the iconic first and last Calvin and Hobbes comic strips will be available for purchase. To celebrate the 65th anniversary of Peanuts, an archive-quality print of the first-ever comic strip (available in color or black and white) will also be
• GoComics will host daily Twitter giveaways (Thursday through Sunday) featuring the “Dear Mr. Watterson” and “Stripped” documentaries in celebration of the 30th anniversary of Calvin and Hobbes (while
• In partnership with Peanuts Worldwide, SDCC attendees are encouraged to visit the Peanuts booth (#1637) and ask for a “GoComics Ticket.” Attendees who present this ticket at the Andrews McMeel Publishing/GoComics booth (#1503) will receive exclusive commemorative Peanuts prizes, including a collectible 65th anniversary poster, Snoopy buttons, bookmarks, tattoos and a coloring sheet for kids (while
• GoComics T-shirts featuring the slogan “Read Comics Every Day” will be available for purchase for $20. Follow GoComics (@GoComics) and Andrews McMeel Publishing (@AndrewsMcMeel) on Twitter using #GoComics and #AndrewsMcMeel for real-time updates about giveaways, signings and the location of street teams distributing comic-related items. The on-site teams from GoComics and Andrews McMeel Publishing will also share photos via Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram and Pinterest.
Andrews McMeel Publishing/GoComics Signing and Event Schedule:
All creator signings will occur at the Andrews McMeel Publishing/GoComics Booth (#1503). Exclusive SDCC 2015 prints or posters will be provided for free at all creator signings.
Thursday, July 9
12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: Jason Chatfield (Ginger Meggs)
2:00 – 3:00 p.m.: Jim Benton (Jim Benton Cartoons)
3:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Lalo Alcaraz (editorial cartoonist; La Cucaracha)
Friday, July 10
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Greg Evans (Luann)
12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: Brooke McEldowney (9 Chickweed Lane, Pibgorn)
2:00 – 3:00 p.m.: Dana Simpson (Phoebe and Her Unicorn)
3:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Paul Trap (Thatababy)
Saturday, July 26
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Steve McGarry (Badlands, Biographic, KidTown, TrivQuiz)
12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: Stephan Pastis (Pearls Before Swine)
2:00 – 3:00 p.m.: Nick Seluk (The Awkward Yeti, Heart and Soul)
3:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Paige Braddock (creative director at Peanuts, Stinky Cecil, Jane’s World, The Martian Confederacy)
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.