Every September, American libraries promote library card registration! For the past few years, the American Library Association has named honorary chairpeople to publicize the joy and privilege of owning what I consider to be the most valuable card in my wallet.
Last year, Stan Lee was the honorary spokesperson, a tradition which dates to 2008.
- 2008: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
- 2009: Olympic gold medalist and 2008 WNBA Rookie of the Year Candace Parker
- 2010: Olympic gold medalist and 2008-2009 NBA top scoring player Dwyane Wade
- 2011: Baseball Hall of Famer and author Cal Ripken
- 2012: Pittsburgh Steelers two-time Super Bowl champion Troy Polamalu
- 2013: Chicago Bulls two-time NBA All Star Luol Deng
- 2014: Stan Lee
- 2015: Snoopy
Peanuts has had a long tradition of supporting libraries. Snoopy was once kicked out of a library in “Snoopy Come Home” (No Dogs Allowed), and for laughing out loud at dog obedience books in “It’s Arbor Day, Charlie Brown”. In 1972, Linus campaigned to have Helen Sweetstory‘s The Six Bunny Wunnies Freak Out reinstated at the school library.
The American Library Association offers numerous posters, bookmarks, and stickers to promote Sign Up Month. You can view (and order them) here! (They also offer lots of other pop-cultured items!)
I’ve been writing for The Beat since July of 2010.
I’ve been reading comics since 1974, collecting since 1984, and spreading the graphic novel gospel since 1994.
I’m a bookseller, a librarian, an amateur scholar, a cool uncle, and a comics evangelist.
Ask me anything!