The nominees for this year’s Russ Manning Award—a sort of “most promising newcomer” for artists—have been announced, and they are:
• Craig Cermak, artist of Voltron, Year One (published by Dynamite)
• Martin Cóccolo, artist of Helldorado (published by APE Entertainment)
• Tyler Crook, artist of Petrograd (published by Oni Press) and B.P.R.D. (published by Dark Horse)
• Teagan Gavet, penciler of Norgard: Across Thin Ice (Published by Sofawolf)
• Dave Wachter, artist of Night of 1,000 Wolves and That Hellbound Train (published by IDW)
The nominees were selected by a committee consisting of representatives of the West Coast Comics Club and Comic-Con International. The winner will be chosen by past Manning award winners and Russ Manning assistants. The recipient will be announced during the Eisner Awards ceremony on July 22 at Comic-Con International in San Diego. Past winners include such folks as Dave Stevens, Jan Duursema, Steve Rude, Scott McCloud, Art Adams, Eric Shanower, Dan Brereton, Jeff Smith, Gene Ha, Alexander Maleev, Goran Sudzuka, Eric Wight, David Petersen, Cathy Malkasian, Eleanor Davis, and Marion Churchland…so you know…good company.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.