• Eric Reynolds reports that Esther Pearl Watson’s UNLOVABLE has been picked up by young women’s apparel chain Urban Outfitters and will be tested in ten stores nationwide. With its chunky pink appearance and accessibly hiliarious tales of self-conscious agony — Watson adapts the diary of a teenage girl she found in a gas station restroom — this book definitely fits in with UO’s college dorm esthetic, so we’ll see how it rolls out.
• Michel Rabagliati, Gabrielle Bell, and Graham Annable have joined the lineup at TCAF, which we won’t be attending, much to our sorrow.
• Dark Horse’s ECCC announcements, in one handy article.
• Speaking of ECCC, although it’s not precisely news, Matt Maxwell continues his jeremiad across the cons of America with a report at Robot 6:
See, I’m good enough at this convention thing now that I have to tack on extra difficulty just to keep myself from being bored. Which is why I traveled with my two kids by plane up to Seattle instead of doing the sensible thing and flying up on my own. At least I have enough sense to drop them with the grandparents while I try to sell books. Having an easily bored pair of five and eight-year-old kids is just not conducive to doing anything other than clinging to my last shreds of sanity and composure, and add to that selling books and spreading the Strangeways gospel? Not gonna happen.
• The planned UMBRELLA ACADEMY movie, based on the comics by Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá is moving along, with screenwriter Mark Bomback now attached. Bomback wrote the recent Witch Mountain reboot, as well as CONSTANTINE.
• Marvel is running a contest for people to dress up their pets to publicize the release of the LOCKJAW AND THE PET AVENGERS mini.
Marvel is proud to announce that now your pets can join Lockjaw’s new super team that has everyone talking—The Pet Avengers! That’s right, in honor of the upcoming LOCKJAW AND THE PET AVENGERS #1, click on URL right now and submit photos of your pets dressed as Marvel heroes to the Powers That Be at Marvel.Com. If you’re lucky, your pet may be featured as Lockjaw’s newest ally online! (Or be really adventurous and dress your pet as a Marvel villain).
We’ll keep a close eye on THAT Flickr stream!