Today, in a CBR exclusive, Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie, Matt Wilson, and Clayton Cowles teased the return of their pop tragedy comic, The Wicked + The Divine. The series, which has been on hiatus for the past several months, will return with issue #18 on April 6th, 2016.
THE WICKED + THE DIVINE #18
STORY: KIERON GILLEN
ART / COVERS A & B: JAMIE McKELVIE & MATT WILSON
APRIL 6 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50
NEW STORY ARC
An ideal jumping-on point. Persephone, live. The question is, will it be for more than one night? Don’t call it a comeback, as JAMIE McKELVIE and MATT WILSON return to THE WICKED + THE DIVINE for the most rock-and-roll everything-explodes arc of the hit series.
This issue will see the return of McKelvie as series illustrator and Wilson as colorist after they spent the length of the last arc working on Phonogram: the Immaterial Girl, the conclusion to theirs and Gillen’s “music as magic” trilogy. In celebration of his and the series’ return, the team has released a new comic that teases events to come in upcoming issues.
- there are a lot of “returns” happening, both within and outside the comic. Very meta.
- Baphomet and Kany-Baal face off. I guess no one can hide forever.
- Sakhmet’s rocking a new do.
- The Bad-B Morrigan has some cool raven(?) talons. I don’t remember those being in previous issues. Caged bird no more.
- Woden gets an upgrade, complete with Robocop armor and giant laser canons.
- That’s 100% a new image of our once-dead-perhaps-no-longer lead, Laura, aka Persephone. Life and death, cycles, etc. Welcome back *hands emoji*. That skull in her eye looks ominous.
This isn’t the first time Team Wic+Div has teased its audience with short comics. Check out this one from before the release of issue #1: