Superheroes meet fashion this week as it was announced that MAC Cosmetics will be introducing a line of limited edition Wonder Woman themed cosmetics next month. Given the proliferation of superheroes in pop culture, it was only a matter of time before they hit the makeup counter.
Wonder Woman has always known the importance of astounding accessories. For her collaboration with M∙A∙C, we’ve infused her sense and fantasy and wonder into a vivid collection of awe-inspiring accessories as fierce and feminine as the heroine herself. Bright, bold, superhuman designs in Makeup Bags – from radiant Red to Bulletproof Blue, Utility Belt Brush Sets, and exclusively online, the WW T-Shirt and Invincible Mirror. Shazam!
While we adore the key art by Mike Allred — available on a limited edition T-shirt — at least in photos, the product packaging looks a little…plastick-y. However, some of the other items are to die for!
• Marquise d’ – Sandy cream peach (Lustre)
• Russian Red – Intense bluish-red (Matte)
• Spitfire – Bright creamy magenta (Satin)
• Heroine – Brown bronze (Frost)
Russian Red is a MAC perennial favorite, but the others are a little lifeless for our tastes. These would go well with a smokey eye.
• Emancipation – Pale neutral pink Wonder Woman
• Wonder Woman – Bright red with soft pearl Athena’s Kiss
• Athena’s Kiss – Bright blue fuchsia Secret Identity
• Secret Identity – Mid-tone copper with soft pearl
Secret Identity is definitely for the bold, but Emancipation looks about right.
• Victorious – Purple
• Army of Amazons – Green
• Themyscira- Blue
• Black- Black
Non-black mascara definitely caters to the cosplay crowd.
PENULTIMATE EYE LINER ($18.50)
• Rapidblack – True black
We like the idea of this product but would have a hard time pulling it out anywhere we wanted to be taken seriously.
NAIL LACQUER ($14)
• Obey Me – True red
• Spirit of Truth – Navy blue
This red nail polish looks like a real standout in any crowd.
EYE QUAD DEFIANCE ($40)
• Defiance – Iridescent white pink (Veluxe pearl)
• Paradise Island – Soft warm pink (Satin)
• Star Studded – Mid-tone violet pink (Satin)
• Real Drama – Dark burgundy with pink pearl (Satin)
Now we’re talking — a tempting array of nice neutrals that can take you from day — a meeting at JLA headquarters — right into night — snapping the neck of crazed killers.
EYE QUAD LADY JUSTICE ($40)
• Lady Justice – Bright silver with white pearl (Frost)
• Insurmountable – Dirty blue grey (Veluxe Pearl)
• Bold Babe – Deep metal blue with white pearl (Frost)
• Deep Truth – True dark blue (Frost)
A blue eye-shadow quad? For trustafarians only.
EYE QUAD LADY VALIANT ($40)
• Valiant – Light lime with yellow pearl (Frost)
• Spinning Transformation – Deep olive bronze with yellow pearl (Frost)
• Diana Undercover – Dark forest green (Satin)
• Manila Paper – Pale frost white gold (Veluxe Pearl)
Some rather nice earth-toned greens — these would look good on Kate Kane.
REFLECTS GLITTER ($21)
• Reflects Pearl – White glitter with a pearl sheen
• Reflects Bronze – Sparkling rich gold
Total ’90s nostalgia.
• Bright Fuchsia – Bright magenta
• Marine Ultra – Vivid marine blue
POWDER BLUSH (DUO) ($24)
• Mighty Aphrodite – Warm peach coral with gold pearl/Bright coral pink with gold pearl (Satin/Frost)
• Amazon Princess – Bright yellow pink/Deep blue pink with gold pearl (Satin)
Nothing too remarkable here.
MINERALIZE SKINFINISH ($35)
• Pink Power – Peachy rose with pink shimmer/Soft rosy bronze/Soft shell pink with fine shimmer
• Golden Lariat – True coral with fine gold shimmer/Soft suntanned bronze/Soft gold with fine shimmer
These would go great in the utility belt as pick-me-ups when you don’t have time to do a complete makeup touch-up.
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman Red Makeup Bag $30
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman Bulletproof Blue Makeup Bag $30
Now we’re talking — we’ll take the one in blue, please.
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman Utility Belt Eye Brush Set $49.50
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman Utility Belt Face Brush Set $49.50
Perhaps the most overtly superhero-themed of the items, these can actually be worn as a belt. Just because you’re saving the world doesn’t mean you can’t have a flawless finish to your complexion.
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman Invincible Mirror $20
For those looking to buy a gift, you can’t go wrong with this.
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman T Small, Medium, Large $25
Over at Temptalia, many commenters feel the packaging looks cheap, but others defend it:
I can’t believe how many people are complaining about the packaging…it’s Wonder Woman…the packaging screams classic Wonder Woman. I love it…I don’t think it’s cheap looking at all, it looks like it should look:)
Our take: Don’t be surprised if you see The Beatdabbing on a few of these products at some show this year.
Via Bella Sugar