Superheroes meet fashion this week as it was announced that MAC Cosmetics will be introducing a line of limited edition Wonder Woman themed cosmetics next month. Given the proliferation of superheroes in pop culture, it was only a matter of time before they hit the makeup counter.
Wonder Woman has always known the importance of astounding accessories. For her collaboration with M∙A∙C, we’ve infused her sense and fantasy and wonder into a vivid collection of awe-inspiring accessories as fierce and feminine as the heroine herself. Bright, bold, superhuman designs in Makeup Bags – from radiant Red to Bulletproof Blue, Utility Belt Brush Sets, and exclusively online, the WW T-Shirt and Invincible Mirror. Shazam!
While we adore the key art by Mike Allred — available on a limited edition T-shirt — at least in photos, the product packaging looks a little…plastick-y. However, some of the other items are to die for!
• Marquise d’ – Sandy cream peach (Lustre)
• Russian Red – Intense bluish-red (Matte)
• Spitfire – Bright creamy magenta (Satin)
• Heroine – Brown bronze (Frost)
Russian Red is a MAC perennial favorite, but the others are a little lifeless for our tastes. These would go well with a smokey eye.
• Emancipation – Pale neutral pink Wonder Woman
• Wonder Woman – Bright red with soft pearl Athena’s Kiss
• Athena’s Kiss – Bright blue fuchsia Secret Identity
• Secret Identity – Mid-tone copper with soft pearl
Secret Identity is definitely for the bold, but Emancipation looks about right.
• Victorious – Purple
• Army of Amazons – Green
• Themyscira- Blue
• Black- Black
Non-black mascara definitely caters to the cosplay crowd.
PENULTIMATE EYE LINER ($18.50)
• Rapidblack – True black
We like the idea of this product but would have a hard time pulling it out anywhere we wanted to be taken seriously.
NAIL LACQUER ($14)
• Obey Me – True red
• Spirit of Truth – Navy blue
This red nail polish looks like a real standout in any crowd.
EYE QUAD DEFIANCE ($40)
• Defiance – Iridescent white pink (Veluxe pearl)
• Paradise Island – Soft warm pink (Satin)
• Star Studded – Mid-tone violet pink (Satin)
• Real Drama – Dark burgundy with pink pearl (Satin)
Now we’re talking — a tempting array of nice neutrals that can take you from day — a meeting at JLA headquarters — right into night — snapping the neck of crazed killers.
EYE QUAD LADY JUSTICE ($40)
• Lady Justice – Bright silver with white pearl (Frost)
• Insurmountable – Dirty blue grey (Veluxe Pearl)
• Bold Babe – Deep metal blue with white pearl (Frost)
• Deep Truth – True dark blue (Frost)
A blue eye-shadow quad? For trustafarians only.
EYE QUAD LADY VALIANT ($40)
• Valiant – Light lime with yellow pearl (Frost)
• Spinning Transformation – Deep olive bronze with yellow pearl (Frost)
• Diana Undercover – Dark forest green (Satin)
• Manila Paper – Pale frost white gold (Veluxe Pearl)
Some rather nice earth-toned greens — these would look good on Kate Kane.
REFLECTS GLITTER ($21)
• Reflects Pearl – White glitter with a pearl sheen
• Reflects Bronze – Sparkling rich gold
Total ’90s nostalgia.
• Bright Fuchsia – Bright magenta
• Marine Ultra – Vivid marine blue
POWDER BLUSH (DUO) ($24)
• Mighty Aphrodite – Warm peach coral with gold pearl/Bright coral pink with gold pearl (Satin/Frost)
• Amazon Princess – Bright yellow pink/Deep blue pink with gold pearl (Satin)
Nothing too remarkable here.
MINERALIZE SKINFINISH ($35)
• Pink Power – Peachy rose with pink shimmer/Soft rosy bronze/Soft shell pink with fine shimmer
• Golden Lariat – True coral with fine gold shimmer/Soft suntanned bronze/Soft gold with fine shimmer
These would go great in the utility belt as pick-me-ups when you don’t have time to do a complete makeup touch-up.
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman Red Makeup Bag $30
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman Bulletproof Blue Makeup Bag $30
Now we’re talking — we’ll take the one in blue, please.
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman Utility Belt Eye Brush Set $49.50
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman Utility Belt Face Brush Set $49.50
Perhaps the most overtly superhero-themed of the items, these can actually be worn as a belt. Just because you’re saving the world doesn’t mean you can’t have a flawless finish to your complexion.
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman Invincible Mirror $20
For those looking to buy a gift, you can’t go wrong with this.
M∙A∙C Wonder Woman T Small, Medium, Large $25
Over at Temptalia, many commenters feel the packaging looks cheap, but others defend it:
I can’t believe how many people are complaining about the packaging…it’s Wonder Woman…the packaging screams classic Wonder Woman. I love it…I don’t think it’s cheap looking at all, it looks like it should look:)
Our take: Don’t be surprised if you see The Beatdabbing on a few of these products at some show this year.
Via Bella Sugar
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.