There’s comics action in Austin, TX this weekend as well with STAPLE, which lasts all weekend and has now morphed into an Independent Media Expo, kicking off just before SXSW. Comics Guests include Steve Niles, Bernie Wrightson and James O’Barr. Here’s a schedule and some highlights:
WHERE: Marchesa Hall & Theater at 6406 North IH-35 Suite 3100, 78752
Pre-STAPLE! Meet & Greet at Austin Books on March 1 at 8 – 11 pm
After-Party and KOOP Benefit for ticket-holders March 2 at 9 pm at Shangri La.
WHEN: Saturday, March 2 from 11 am – 6 pm
Sunday, March 3 from noon – 6 pm
TICKETS: $15 for a 2-day pass or at the door. Kids 12 and under get in free!
Friday, March 1
• 1 – 3 pm — “Fiasco” In-Store With Jason Morningstar, Game’s Author at Rogues Gallery
• 8 – 11 pm —Pre-STAPLE! Meet & Greet at Austin Books
Saturday, March 2
• 12:00 – 1:00 — PANEL: Steve Niles and Bernie Wrightson
• 1:30 – 2:30 — PANEL: Animation Panel with Dax Norman, Kyle Sullivan, Bill Byrne & Mongrel Studio Productions
• 3:00 – 4:00 — PANEL: Indie Game Design with Jason Morningstar, Jeff Dee, & Marc Majcher
• 4:30 – 5:30 — PERFORMANCE: Dr. Horrible Sing-a-long with After Midnight
• 9:00 – 12a —AFTERPARTY: Live Art Benefit for KOOP Radio with DJ LD, Bad Barry & Run/DMG @Shangri La, 1016 East 6th Street
Sunday, March 3
• 1:00 – 2:00: PANEL: WebTV with Danni Danger, Sara Reihani, Jessica Mills
• 2:30 – 3:30: PANEL: Kickstart Your Comic with Sean Wang
• 4:00 – 5:00: PANEL: Pop Culture Podcasting with Geek Bombast, The League of Extremely Ordinary Gentlemen, & The Random Access Web TV Podcast
2013 panel moderators will include Austin Chronicle writer Richard Whittaker, actor and artistic director at Gnap! Theater Projects Shannon McCormick, director and International Academy of WebTV member Mark Gardener, and dungeon master/pastor at The Well: A. Jason Jones.
This year, there are three official offsite events open to the public, including the previously announced Meet & Greet at Austin Books and the Afterparty at Shangri La. STAPLE! has also collaborated with Rogues Gallery to bring in Jason Morningstar, creator of hit indie game company RPGs Fiasco, Durance, Grey Ranks and more. The event will feature Morningstar, along with members of the League of Extremely Ordinary Gentlemen podcast, playing a game of Fiasco in-store on the Friday before STAPLE!
Attendees will receive a complimentary souvenir program packed with exclusive art and comics from STAPLE! exhibitors. Limited edition, 2013 t-shirts and posters by artist Robert Wilson IV will be available onsite. Mindzai Creativewill be screenprinting t-shirts onsiteand they are also now available for pre-order here: http://www.mindzai.net/store/1-mens/staple-t-shirt/
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.