One of the Wizard-related announcements at WWPh was the debut of FunFare, a new magazine which is owned by Wizard publisher Gareb Shamus but published via Wizard. You can read the PR in the jump but it will be a kind of family service magazine, with product reviews and recommendations, especially toys. The concept spins out of the “Hot Dozen Toys” event that Wizard and ToyFare have been promoting for years. It’s also a bit reminiscent of Family Fun, a magazine published by Disney for a while back in the ’90s.
UPDATE: Several people have reminded me that this is an update of Toy Wishes, a similarly-themed but more limited in scope magazine.
AND PLUS, two more staffers have apparently left Wizard, including the managing editor of Toy Wishes.
While the magazine industry is still in shell shock, FunFare is certainly a decent idea for a launch. The debut issue will come out in conjunction with the October Big Apple Con.
FunFare, the newest consumer magazine geared toward families about the joy derived from toys and games, hits retailers today. Published by Wizard Entertainment founder and CEO Gareb Shamus, FunFare takes the humor of Wizard’s collector-targeted magazine ToyFare, and expands the focus to families.
“Being the father of two amazing children, I am excited to share with other parents and their kids some of the best, innovative and coolest products that’s right for their families (and their budgets), FunFare is very personal to me,” said Gareb Shamus.
Created by Wizard founder Gareb Shamus and a team of editors, parents and children, the Premiere Issue includes:
• The 100 hottest new toys coming out this season (and who’s made our Hot Dozen list)
• Learn all about the unique history of different toys, companies, and inventors in our “Moms-approved” feature articles
• Meet the panel of “Kid Kritics” who break down this season’s new toys
• An all-new all-ages friendly version of the award-winning comic strip, “FunFare Theatre”.
• Features on how Lego toys are made and the evolution of how Fisher Price’s “Little People” have evolved over the past half century
• Features on our ever popular All-Stars and Kids ½ Dozen, FunFare lists are all featured prominently on Amazon.com.
Download the Annual Spring Hot Dozen list with photos at www.FunFareNow.com
The Holiday Issue of FunFare launches at Big Apple Con on October 16, 2009 and features the Annual Holiday Hot Dozen List – #1 most quoted list in the media!