We’re in the final weeks until SDCC arrives! For this year’s SDCC, Nickelodeon is going all out in celebration of SpongeBob SquarePant’s 20th Anniversary by bringing SpongeBob’s beloved hometown of Bikini Bottom to the convention! Events at SDCC include
2019 also happens to be the 35th Anniversary of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise, so as not to overlook that milestone, Nick is also bringing key talent from the current and last TMNT cartoons as well as TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman!
Be sure to keep an eye on The Beat for our SDCC Nickelodeon coverage!
Nickelodeon is celebrating 20 years of SpongeBob SquarePants by inviting fans to enter into the world of Bikini Bottom at Comic-Con International: San Diego July 18-21, 2019. Headquartered at its 1,800 square-foot booth (#4113) on the convention floor, Nickelodeon will pay tribute to incurably optimistic SpongeBob SquarePants and his undersea friends with activations, panels, talent signings and interactive design elements featuring: The Krusty Krab, The Chum Bucket and Mrs. Puff’s Boating School.
Every day of the convention, Nick’s booth will feature: an interactive game inside The Krusty Krab, where fans will go head to head to complete food orders in a race against the clock; a photo opportunity with a replica of Mrs. Puff’s Boating School; The Chum Bucket towering 22 feet tall over the retail area, where attendees can purchase a variety of exclusive Nick gear and one-of-a-kind collectables; costumed character appearances; autograph signings with SpongeBob SquarePants cast members and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles creator and executive producers; and more special appearances to be announced in the coming weeks.
Nickelodeon will present two panels during the convention: “SpongeBob’s Big Birthday Blowout,” a deep dive into the series, celebrating 20 years of SpongeBob SquarePants; and “To Shell and Back,” an exclusive history-making TMNT creator panel, comprised of three generations of Turtle creators.
The following is a full rundown of the panels and booth activity:
SpongeBob’s Big Birthday Blowout!
Drop on the deck and flop like a fish because Nickelodeon is celebrating 20 years of SpongeBob SquarePants! Dive deep down into the making of the brand-new special, “SpongeBob’s Big Birthday Blowout!” with co-executive producers Vincent Waller and Marc Ceccarelli. Voice actors Tom Kenny (SpongeBob), Bill Fagerbakke (Patrick), Rodger Bumpass (Squidward), Carolyn Lawrence (Sandy), Mr. Lawrence (Plankton) and Clancy Brown (Mr. Krabs) will discuss what it was like to portray their characters in front of the camera for the first time in this live action-animation hybrid special. Moderated by: David Canfield (Entertainment Weekly).
To Shell and Back: An exclusive TMNT creator panel
It’s creator COWABUNGA time! Three generations of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles creators will take the stage to celebrate the history, fandom, and success of the Heroes in a Half -Shell. This exclusive history-making event will give fans rare access to co-executive producers Andy Suriano and Ant Ward (Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles),executive producer Ciro Nieli (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), and legendary TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman. United for the first time, these award-winning creators will answer fan questions, share audience giveaways and unveil never-before-seen original TMNT art. Moderated by Mike Cecchini (Den of Geek).
DAILY BOOTH ACTIVITY
- Customized T-Shirt Station: Fans can purchase a t-shirt from the retail shop and customize it on the spot with characters and art from their choice of eight fan-favorite Nick shows: All That, SpongeBob SquarePants, Hey Arnold!,Rugrats, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Loud House, Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.
- Autograph Signings: Signing opportunities with: SpongeBob SquarePants voice talent and executive producers; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ creator Kevin Eastman and executive producers.
- Costumed-Character Appearances: SpongeBob SquarePants and Bikini Bottom friends–Patrick Star, Sandy Cheeks, Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Pearl–will make appearances at Nick’s booth at select times during the convention.
- Retail: Attendees can purchase Comic-Con exclusive figures and collectibles, the winter edition of the Nick Box, t-shirts, and more.
- Giveaways: Enter for a chance to win special prizes over the course of the convention.
SpongeBob SquarePants has featured nearly 80 celebrity guest stars from the worlds of film, television and music throughout the series’ 20-year run.
Below are the stars (in alphabetical order) who have lent their voices as animated characters in the series to date.
- Adam West as Young Mermaid Man in “Back to the Past”
- Alton Brown as Nicholas Withers in “House Fancy”
- Amy Poehler as Granny Stew in “Have You Seen this Snail?”
- Amy Sedaris as Ma Angler in “Trenchbillies”
- Andrea Martin as Miss Gristlepuss in “Banned in Bikini Bottom”
- Andy Samberg as Colonel Carper in “Hello Bikini Bottom”
- Aubrey Plaza as Nocturna in “Mall Girl Pearl”
- Betty White as Beatrice in “Mall Girl Pearl”
- Biz Markie as Kenny the Cat in “Kenny the Cat”
- Bob Barker as Bob Barnacle in “Sanctuary!”
- Brian Doyle-Murray as Flying Dutchman in “Ghoul Fools”
- Brian George as Coupe in “Drive Happy”
- Burt Ward as Young Barnacle Boy in “Back to the Past”
- Charles Nelson Reilly as Dirty Bubble in “Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II”
- Chris Elliot as Lord Poltergeist (Ghost Captain) in “Ghoul Fools”
- Christopher Guest as Stanley S. SquarePants in “Stanley S. SquarePants”
- David Bowie as Lord Royal Highness in “Atlantis SquarePantis”
- David Lander as Donnie in “Sharks vs. Pods”
- Dee Snider as Angry Jack in “Shell Shocked”
- Dennis Quaid as Grandpa Redbeard in “Grandpappy the Pirate”
- Ed Asner as Angry Old Timer in “Whirlybrains”
- Ernest Borgnine as Mermaidman in “Mermaidman and Barnacleboy”
- Gene Shalit as Gene Scallop in “The Krusty Sponge”
- Gene Simmons as Sea Monster in “20,000 Patties Under the Sea”
- Ginnifer Goodwin as Purple Haired Mermaid in “Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle”
- Henry Winkler as Sharkface in “Sharks vs. Pods”
- Ian McShane as Gordon in “Dear Vikings”
- Jeff Garlin as Cuddle E. Hugs in “Cuddle E. Hugs”
- JK Simmons as Conductor in “Snooze You Lose”
- Joe Pantoliano as Sticky Fins in “The Getaway”
- John O’Hurley as King Neptune in “The Clash of Triton & Trident Trouble”
- Johnny Knoxville as Johnny Krill in “Extreme Spots”
- Jon Hamm as Don Grouper in “Goodbye, Krabby Patty?”
- Keith David as Gary’s Collar in “Chatterbox Gary”
- Kristen Wiig as Madame Hagfish in “The Curse of the Hex”
- Laraine Newman as Plankton’s Grandmother in “Gramma’s Secret Recipe”
- Marion Ross as Grandma SquarePants in “Grandma’s Kisses, BlackJack, The Abrasive Side & Pet Sitter Pat”
- Mark Hamill as Moth in “Night Light & Mermaidman Begins”
- Michael McKean as Captain Frostymug in “License to Milkshake” and Lonnie in “Sharks vs. Pods”
- Nigel Planer as Dr. Marmalade in “Chimps Ahoy”
- Pat Morita as Udon in “Karate Island”
- Patton Oswalt as Jim the Fry Cook in “The Original Fry Cook”
- Peter Browngardt as Ice Cream King in “Patrick’s Coupon Day”
- R Lee Ermy as Warden in “The Inmates of Summer”
- Ray Liotta as Trevor in “What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?”
- Rich Fulcher as Fuzzy Acorns in “The Way of the Sponge”
- Rik Mayall as Lord Reginald in “Chimps Ahoy”
- Sebastian Bach as Triton in “The Clash of Triton”
- Steve Buscemi as Dorsal Dan in “The Getaway”
- Tim Conway as Barnacle Boy in “Mermaidman and Barnacleboy”
- Victoria Beckham as Queen Amphitrite in “The Clash of Triton”
Celebrities that have appeared in the series as themselves, played stop-motion characters or been featured in a song, include:
- Bruce Brown as narrator in “SpongeBob SquarePants vs. the Big One”
- Cee-Lo Green as himself in “Truth or Square”
- Craig Ferguson as himself in “Truth or Square”
- Dave “Gruber” Allen as himself in “Truth or Square”
- David Hasselhoff as himself in “Truth or Square”
- Davy Jones as himself in “SpongeBob SquarePants vs. the Big One”
- Eddie Deezen as himself in “Truth or Square”
- Jim Jarmusch as Fisherman in “Hooky”
- John Goodman as Santa Claus in “It’s a SpongeBob Christmas!”
- John Lurie as Fisherman in “Hooky”
- Junior Brown as “Texas” song in “Texas”
- LeBron James as himself in “Truth or Square”
- P!nk as herself and featured in “We’ve Got Scurvy” song in “Truth or Square”Pantera featured in “Prehibernation” song in “Prehibernation Week”
- Ricky Gervais as himself in “Truth or Square”
- Robin Williams as himself in “Truth or Square”
- Rosario Dawson as herself in “Truth or Square”
- Shannon Tweed as Mom Fish in “20,000 Patties Under the Sea”
- Tina Fey as herself in “Truth or Square”
- Triumph the Insult Dog as himself in “Truth or Square”
- Violent Femmes version of the theme song featured on “It’s a SpongeBob Christmas!” DVD & Blu-Ray
- Ween featured in “Loop de Loop” song in “Your Shoe’s Untied”
- Will Ferrell as himself in “Truth or Square”