Although David Lynch didn’t end up making a surprise appearance, the Twin Peaks panel in SDCC’s Hall H held some golden moments, some quotes we’re happily willing to read way too much into, and several Lynch impressions for good measure.
Here are a few highlights from the panel:
- WHY DIDN’T COOP AND AUDREY DATE? – This question was asked by an audience member and is something that Sherilyn Fenn (Audrey) has addressed in the past, speculating that the pair were meant to be a couple but that the plan was derailed by Kyle MacLachlan’s real-life romance with co-star Lara Flynn Boyle and jealousy issues. MacLachlan did not confirm the story, instead stating that “the writing went a different way,” and that he suspected it had to do with the fact that Audrey was a high school student.
- WHAT DATE DID MATTHEW LILLARD WRITE? – When asked about handling fan speculation, Lillard mentioned that he’s been asked repeatedly about one key moment: “I write a date in episode 9, and I must have been asked 1,000 times what was the date I wrote down – the 20th or the 29th? I think it was the 20th, but it was a year ago, and I have terrible penmanship. I can’t tell.”
- WHY IS NO ONE WORRIED ABOUT DOUGIE? – This is something I wondered myself. How is no one more concerned about Dougie’s health? Kimmy Robertson (Lucy) speculated: “I think it’s very easy, if you ever meet any families who live out in the suburbs and have kids and work, it’s very easy to slip through the cracks and say one word a month without anyone noticing. What wife wouldn’t like that from her husband?”
- DON’T MESS WITH THE SCRIPTS – MacLachlan recounted a scene in which Jim Belushi tried to improvise a little: “It was kind of a big scene… and Jim decided that he was going to ad-lib a line in this heightened moment of euphoria, which he did. And we heard ‘CUT!’ And David had a megaphone and said ‘Mr. Belushi! Do I have to report you to the principal’s office?'”
- SOMETHING EXTRA – David Lynch couldn’t (or maybe wouldn’t) appear at the panel, but he made a very short, comedic film to show in Hall H. The short film featured Lynch sitting down to thank fans for coming to the panel, but repeatedly getting interrupted by things happening off-camera and doing new takes. The takes included Lynch screaming to someone off screen: “This is the golf ball O.J. hit before going to jail,” “Hey, you can’t bring a horse in here!” and “Thanks a lot! Your horse stepped on my cat!”
Our favorite moments from the panel included the two below, in which both MacLachlan and Watts do off-the-cuff Lynch impressions.