Portland-based Oni Press is marking its 20th year as a publisher and jsut annoucned a host of personnel changes and promotions and the announcement of series of seasonal events. It seems like the whole darned staff has been promoted, so let’s do it!
• Joe Nozemack, Publisher of Oni Press for more that 20 years, has taken on the title of Founder and Chief Financial Officer.
• James Lucas Jones, who started as a website freelancer for Oni Press in 1999, has replaced Nozemack as Publisher after acting as Editor in Chief.
• Charlie Chu has been promoted to VP of Creative and Business Development after 7 years in Oni Press editorial.
• Over the past five years, Brad Rooks has worked his way up from Inventory Coordinator to his current role of Director of Operations.
• Ari Yarwood, former Managing Editor and current head of Limerence Press, is now Executive Editor of Oni Press.
• Editor Robin Herrera has been promoted to Senior Editor.
• Associate Editor Desiree Wilson, who was previously an editorial intern at Dark Horse, joined Oni Press last August.
• Graphic Designer Hilary Thompson has been promoted to Senior Designer
• Angie Knowles has moved from Digital Prepress Technician to Digital Press Lead.
• Kate Stone was hired in April as Junior Graphic Designer.
• Rachel Reed has been reassigned as Marketing Manager
• Melissa Meszaros (Melissa MacFadyen), former Dark Horse PR Manager, has taken Rachel’s place as Publicity Manager.
• Alissa Sallah was hired as Administrative Assistant in January of 2017.
“Twenty years ago the comics mainstream was limited to science fiction and superheroes,” said Joe Nozemack in a statement. “Because of their increase in popularity, comics and graphic novels are the main growth category in bookstores and libraries, and now comic book shops have been able to attract a more diverse audience. That’s exactly what Oni Press set out to do—make a comic for every person.”
”On one hand, it doesn’t seem possible that I’ve been working with Joe and the Team Oni for the last 18 years, but at the same time, I can barely remember when this company wasn’t a huge part of my life,” added James Lucas Jones. “While proud to have played a part in how the comic industry has evolved over the last 20 years, we’re even more excited to be a part of its continued growth and maturation over the next two decades.”
Oni was founded by Bob Schreck and Nozemack in 1998. It’s the second comics publisher to have big changes at the top in recent months, following IDW.