By Todd Allen
With Marvel’s April solicitations up, we can now declare crossover season upon us.
- Avengers Vs. X-Men #1 (Of 12)
- Avengers Vs. X-Men #2 (Of 12)
- Avx: Vs #1 (Of 6)
- New Avengers #24
- New Avengers #25
- Avengers #25
- Secret Avengers #26
- Uncanny X-Men #11
- Wolverine & The X-Men #9
Actually, 9 isn’t a small number of books, but it’s smaller than I was expecting. Also only one extraneous mini-series, the previously announced, fight club-esque “AVX: Vs.”
How many non-AVX Avengers books?
- Avengers: Roll Call
- Avengers: The Coming Of The Avengers! #1
- Avengers Academy #28
- Marvel’s The Avengers Prelude #3
- Marvel’s The Avengers Prelude #4
- Avengers Assemble #2
- Secret Avengers #25
OK, it’s almost cheating to have Secret Avengers on this list, as the NEXT issue starts with the cross-over, but there’s more Avengers issues outside AVX than in… at least for April. Mind you, three issues are movie tie-ins.
How many non-AVX X-Books?
- Uncanny X-Men #10
- Astonishing X-Men #49
- Wolverine & The X-Men: Alpha & Omega #4 (Of 5)
- X-Men Legacy #265
- Wolverine & The X-Men #8
- X-Men #27
- Uncanny X-Force #24
- Wolverine #304
- Wolverine #305
- AGE OF APOCALYPSE #2
- New Mutants #40
- New Mutants #41
- X-Factor #234
- X-Club #5 (Of 5)
My first thought is “good lord, they publish a lot of X-books in a month.” My second thought is “how many of these are going to start crossing over in May.” I’m legitimately surprised Wolverine isn’t. Uncanny X-Men and Wolverine & The X-Men both start their cross-over with the next issue.
It’s just possible Marvel is showing some restraint in this Event. It’s probably best to give it another month and see if more books tie-in, but this is a lot smaller than I would have expected.
Comings and Goings
- Looks like Cullen Bunn replaces Jason Aaron on Wolverine, as of issue #305.
- Moon Knight ends with issue #12. That’s even more change for Bendis. He’s busy with his last year on the various Avengers titles and with AVX, but we could be looking at a very different set of output for Bendis in 2013.
- Is Pepe Larraz the new penciller for Mighty Thor, or am I not remembering the announcement?
- The final issue of The Twelve is solicited. Beware of angry Mayans blocking your way to buy it.
- Defenders #5 drawn by Mitch Breitweiser. Michael Lark was on #4. Is Terry Dodson still on Defenders?
Speaking of Events
Carnage U.S.A. #5 (Of 5)
Zeb Wells (W) Clayton Crain (A/C)
• It’s “America The Brutal” As The Massive Hit Mini-Series Concludes… Paving The Way For This Summer’s Secret Symbiote Event!
• Spidey, Venom And The Avengers Take On Carnage With A City At Stake And The Souls Of Hundreds On Their Shoulders.
Well… I guess the Secret Symbiote Event isn’t so secret anymore. I also guess AVX has some event competition. Let me go out on a limb and guess:
- A new Wells/Crain Carnage mini-series
- Amazing Spider-Man
- Amazing Spider-Man (bi-weekly and all)
Maybe a fifth title, too? Avenging Spider-Man, perhaps? I pulled a Wells/Crain Carnage collection from the library last week and Iron Man and Spidey are both in it, so I gather this has been bouncing around Avengers territory for a while.