• Warren Ellis’s Twitter commentary has been the best:
* See mighty England greet the German squad. See mighty England shit themselves.
* If you look closely, you can see pee leaking out of the England players whenever a German approaches
* I can’t come up with anything funnier than those two goals by Germany
* Classic English hymn being sung to ref: YOU’RE GOING HOME IN THE BACK OF AN AMBULANCE
* Is James Milner working for the Germans?
* James Milner: cooler, three veeks.
* Here comes Emile Heskey, because apparently England are not losing badly enough
* There. England flags being ripped down from Brighton to Carlisle. Thank buggery for that.
* We are free. And now we’ll get some proper fucking football matches. Selah.
(several hours later)
* …where am football game? Hu-mans told Rooney there was football game. Rooney missed football game? Rooney am confused.
• Also, take the internet, throw in Lego and add World Cup recreations and you have the art form that may well lead us into the 22nd century. Here’s a still from the recreation of the 1966 England victory over West Germany.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.