Oh boy, so much TCAF news! If you didn’t want to go before, you will now. The show will be held May 11-12 at the Toronto Reference Library.
Eight new featured guests have been announced:
• Bill Amend: Creator of the widely syndicated Foxtrot comic strip, and the new AAAAA! Foxtrot graphic novel collections from Andrews McMeel. (USA)
• David B.: Author of Epileptic, co-founder of L’Association. Attending in support of Black Paths from publisher SelfMadeHero. (France)
• Chihoi: Exciting, young talent from Hong Kong. Debuting his first the first ever English version of his work, The Library from publisher Conundrum Press. (Hong Kong)
• Glyn Dillon: Appearing in support of the critically-acclaimed The Nao of Brown, from publisher SelfMadeHero. (UK)
• Michael Kupperman: Hilarious surrealist cartoonist, creator of Snake’n’Bacon. Touring in support of Tales Designed to Thrizzle Vol 2 from publisher Fantagraphics Books. (USA)
• Bryan Lee O’Malley: Creator of the Scott Pilgrim series, will be debuting Scott Pilgrim & The Infinite Sadness Hardcover Color Edition from publisher Oni Press (Canada)
• Michel Rabagliati: Acclaimed Quebec author of the semi-autobiographical and bestselling Paul series. Debuting Paul Joins the Scouts from Conundrum Press. (Canada)
• Judith Vanistendael: Author of Dance by the Light of the Moon. Debuting When David Lost his Voice from publisher SelfMadeHero. (Belgium)
Scott Chantler (Canada) Murilo Martins (Brazil), Inés Estrada (Mexico), Josh Neufeld (USA), Francisco López (Argentina), Kevin Cannon (USA), and Tim Sievert (USA).
New books debuting (see the full list here.)
UK publisher SelfMadeHero will be making some North American debuts at the festival, with English translations of Black Paths by David B., and When David Lost His Voice by Judith Vanistendael.
Conundrum Press is debuting the English translation of Michel Rabagliati’s Paul Joins the Scouts, and announcing the launch of their Conundrum International Imprint with Chihoi’s The Library.
Oni Press has chosen to debut the new color hardcover edition of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s Scott Pilgrim Volume 3: Scott Pilgrim & The Infinite Sadness at TCAF 2013.
Koyama Press’ recently announced Spring/Summer lineup features some impressive TCAF debuts: Very Casual by Michael Deforge, Journal by Julie Delporte, and Everything Takes Forever by Victor Kerlow
Last year’s very successful library-based programming will return, along with a full day of workshops for creators.
Librarian and Educator Day: TCAF will be holding a full day of programming geared towards librarians and educators on Friday, May 10th, from 8:30 am to 5 pm at Toronto Reference Library, in The Bram and Bluma Appel Salon. This follows a successful trial run of this date in 2012, and will feature librarians, publishers, and authors, sharing information and developing skills related to comics in public, academic, and school libraries and classrooms. More information will be released the second week of March.
Comics Creator Skills and Development Day: TCAF will be holding a full day of skills-building workshops for comics creators on Friday, May 10th. As most comics creators exhibiting at TCAF do not get the opportunity to attend festival panels and other programming, this will offer a rare opportunity for creators to share and develop skills related to their profession. More information will be released at the beginning of April.