BTW, we have a FEW openings for reporters for the 2016 San Diego Comic-Con.
As an Elite Beat Operative you will receive:
• A four day (with preview night) badge to Comic-Con
• Access to more interviews and press events than you will ever have the energy or inclination to attend
Unless about 2000 more people sign up for our Patreon between now and then, we cannot contribute to airfare or lodging. Or pay anything, most likely, because there is no money in comics journalism. This is purely for the fun and glory*.
• Ability to write quickly under stressful conditions A MUST. Think Ernie Pyle combined with Bert and Ernie cosplay.
• You need to file at least two stories a day. These do not need to be epic sagas; brisk reportage preferred.
• If you snag an interview with immortal superstar Jim Miller Gaiman, you need to write it up eventually.
• Previous journalistic experience preferred, but we’ve had first timers who were superstars.
• Ability to go for days without sleep a plus
If you are interested please email me at comics beat at gmail.com with “SDCC REPORTER” in the headline and relevant clips or experience in the body.
We’re also looking for more reporters and writers in general here (although I still haven’t finished going through the applicants from my last call for entries.) If you want to join our crusade for better comics, email me at the above address with “JOIN THE BEAT CRUSADE” in the title, and relevant clips and experience.
•Some people would rather go to Comic-Con and take it easy or go through a rigorous schedule of buying exclusives; others would prefer to be a part of the big show by contributing to the ocean of words surrounding it. This offer is for you.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.