So, you might have heard there’s this new Star Wars movie scheduled for December, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”….
You’ve probably not heard much, as Disney and director J.J. Abrams are keeping a tight lid on what gets revealed, when.
Well…that’s all gonna change this week, as Star Wars schedules a massive reveal and release of licensed merchandise!
First, there will be, in real time, a worldwide unveiling on YouTube! Known to fans as “unboxing videos”, hosts of the Maker Studios network will reveal new merchandise, starting at 5:45 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, Sept. 2, and ending at 11 a.m. EDT on Thursday, Sept. 3, in San Francisco at Lucasfilm.
The Star Wars YouTube channel will host the live stream, which kicks off with the first unboxing in Sydney, Australia at 7:45 a.m. local time on Thursday, Sept. 3 (5:45 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, Sept. 2), with the grand finale at Lucasfilm in San Francisco at 8 a.m. PDT (11 a.m. EDT) on Thursday, Sept. 3. Each of the 15 locations will reveal a new product inspired by Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
The global lineup includes:
COUNTRY CITY MAKER TALENT LOCAL TIME 9/3 EDT Australia Sydney Bratayley 07:45 17:45 9/2 Japan Tokyo Einshine 11:00 22:00 9/2 Korea Seoul Dollastic 12:00 23:00 9/2 Hong Kong Hong Kong Dante Basco 12:00 00:00 9/3 France Paris AyPierre 09:00 03:00 9/3 Spain Madrid AlexBy11 11:00 05:00 9/3 Germany Berlin Reyst 12:00 06:00 9/3 England London GamingBeaver 11:30 06:30 9/3 Brazil Rio de Janeiro Malena010102 08:30 07:30 9/3 USA New York EvanTubeHD 08:30 08:30 9/3 Canada Toronto Quill18 09:00 09:00 9/3 USA Chicago HobbyKidsTV 08:30 09:30 9/3 Mexico Mexico City ExpCaseros 09:30 10:30 9/3 USA San Francisco Chris Pirillo 08:00 11:00 9/3
Then, on Friday morning, September 4th, the toys go on sale worldwide!
Here in New York City:
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 626-2910
Distance: 7.46 milesThis Store will be closing early at 11pm on September 3rd and opening at 12am on September 4th for our Force Friday celebration.
StarWarsPost.com also reports on Target’s plans, via Reddit. (I can’t find an official page at Target.com .)
Thanks to Cosmic Booknews, we have some information for Target via a source on Reddit. Check out their story and images with more details and information.
• 207 Target stores are opening at midnight on Force Friday, Sept. 4, so you can be the first to get all the Star Wars: The Force Awakens items.
• Check target.com and enter your zip code to find participating stores.
• While not every Target story is participating in the midnight launch, Target stores are participating in “Share The Force Saturday,” which is labeled as an “exciting in-store event that will include an exclusive giveaway and unique interactive photo opportunities got guests to #sharetheforce on social media.”
• The front of the stores will have stormtrooper door clings, an “interactive Chewbacca stanchion” and an overhead TIE fighter. In the seasonal department, Target stores will have an X-Wing fight cockpit photo op and an overheard TIE fighter/X-Wing fight scene.
• Each store will also have one or two 48″ Darth Vaders that will retail at $99.99.
Target does have a Twitter hashtag: #sharetheforce .
Okay, modders, I want to see that R2-D2 custom van at the next Star Wars Celebration! Yes, the dome must rotate! Also, if you can, add a special audio file for when you turn off your GPS/targeting computer.
Of course, Toys R Us is planning lots of stuff, especially at their (soon to be closed) flagship store in Times Square! Their hashtag? #DestinationStarWars Whoa… a special display of rarities and prototypes! If you can’t make it to Times Square, many of their stores will be open at Midnight (including those in Japan, if you really can’t wait)! Find one here!
The Force is Strong at Toys“R”Us Times Square
The biggest midnight opening celebration will take place at the company’s international flagship store in New York City, Toys“R”Us Times Square, where fans of all ages are encouraged to come dressed as their favorite Star Wars character and take part in dozens of one-of-a-kind activities designed especially for Star Wars aficionados.***
The World’s Greatest Toy Store™ is kicking the party off early with a special exhibition featuring prototypes, originals and early editions of some of the best-known Star Wars toys in the world, curated by Rancho Obi-Wan, Inc., a non-profit museum that houses the Guinness World Record-certified largest collection of Star Wars memorabilia. Presented prominently throughout the store, “Destination:Star Wars – The Experience,” will be on display from Wednesday, August 26 through Monday, September 7 and will feature dozens of notable collectibles based on all six feature films from the Star Wars Saga, including the original first four mail-away action figures from 1978, a large-sized Chewbacca figure in never publicly-released The Empire Strikes Back packaging from Kenner Products and a rare 2003 LEGO Star Wars Cloud City building set.****
The adventure kicks into high gear on Thursday, September 3, when the store hosts Star Wars activities throughout the day, beginning at 9am****, including:
- A book signing and meet and greet with Steve Sansweet, Chief Executive Officer and President of Rancho Obi-Wan, Inc., storied Star Wars author and former Head of Fan Relations and Director of Content Management at Lucasfilm Ltd.
- An art class and meet and greet with fan-favorite Star Wars and science fiction artist, Jeff Carlisle.
- Star Wars product demonstrations and activations throughout the store, including Star Wars-themed 3-D action figure creation with 3D Plus Me, video gaming on Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars kiosks and experiencing intergalactic sound on Star Wars-themed headphones powered by SMS Audio.
- A LEGO Star Wars make and take for rebels looking to build their toy empire brick by brick.
- A Light Saber Academy with members of New York Jedi, a community of cosplayers, martial artists and teachers who share practical stage combat techniques oriented toward Light Sabers.
- Photo opportunities with costumed characters, including Furbacca, a character versioned after the Hasbro® toy that makes wookiee sounds like CHEWBACCA, Geoffrey the Giraffe and more.
- Ice cream flavors inspired by the Star Wars Saga from Scoops“R”Us™, the flagship store’s in-house ice cream shop located on the Lower Level.
- Star Wars-themed cookie decorating at a “Wookiee” Cookie Party on Level 1.
- Special giveaways for the first fans in line, including a Collector’s Edition LEGO Star Wars Commemorative Brick, an exclusive, limited edition Star Wars poster and a Star Wars Character Flashlight from JAKKS Pacific.***
- Star Wars trivia, a costume contest and a galaxy of excitement and prizes, while supplies last, for those fanatics waiting in line.
- A panel discussion with Steve Sansweet and Jeff Carlisle for select lucky fans, which will also be livestreamed via Periscope @Toysrus on Twitter.
- The ultimate unveiling of the official Toys“R”Us Times Square Star Wars feature shop at 12:01am on Force Friday, September 4.
***Event open to all ages. Parental supervision required at all times. All giveaways and event materials available while supplies last and distributed to event participants only. Limit one per person. Quantities limited; no rain checks.
****Toy enthusiasts can view the entire listing of products featured in “Destination:Star Wars – The Experience” and a full schedule of Toys“R”Us Times Square events, including times, online at the company’s Times Square Store Special Events page.
Wondering what’s gonna be offered? [SPOILERS AHOY!] Most of it hasn’t been, because, well, they’re saving it all for the livestream event, right?
But… there’s the Hasbro toy catalog, which has been leaked.
Let me say one word… “Nerf”. Not, as in “herder”, but as in “blaster” and “Millennium Falcon”. Also, “Bladebuilders”.
Hmm…not many females in that catalog, not even the ass-kicking Phasma.
So… is anyone excited? Is there a particular Star Wars toy or tie-in you’d wait in line for, for another chance to reconnect with your youth? Was there one your mother threw away/sold at a garage sale/sold on eBay/gave to your younger cousins to *gasp* play with?
Or are you more excited about Star Wars Reads Day?
I’ve been writing for The Beat since July of 2010.
I’ve been reading comics since 1974, collecting since 1984, and spreading the graphic novel gospel since 1994.
I’m a bookseller, a librarian, an amateur scholar, a cool uncle, and a comics evangelist.
Ask me anything!