Winner Tom Richmond blogs the Reuben weekend, as with the above picture of Mell Lazarus, THE NEW YORKER’S Mort Gerberg, editorial cartoonist & GRIMMY creator Mike Peters.
I’m back from another terrific time at the NCS Reuben awards. The board members and officers really work hard to make this event fun, entertaining and relaxing every year. They secure the sponsorship of the major syndicates like United Media, King Features and others to pay for lavish dinners, parties and gatherings throughout the weekend, which also includes a number of guest speakers and plenty of time left over to hang out with friends and colleagues. Sleep is often an afterthought, with parties going until the wee hours every day.
Mike Lynch has a ton of pictures, as well.
Tom has the complete list of winners but we’ll copy part of it here just to show that Gene Yang won the Comic Book category
* Advertising Illustration: Tom Richmond
* Animation Feature: Carter Goodrich, Character Designer, Open Season
* Animation Television: Craig McCracken, Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends
* Book Illustration: Mike Lester
* Comic Books: Gene Luen Yang, American Born Chinese
* Editorial Cartoons: Mike Ramirez
* Gag Cartoons: Drew Dernavich
* Greeting Cards: Carla Ventresca
* Magazine Feature Magazine Illustration: Steve Brodner
* Newspaper Illustration: Laurie Triefeldt
* Newspaper Panels: Hilary Price
* Newspaper Strips: Stephan Pastis
As noted previously, Bill Amend won Cartoonist of the Year.