Captain Action Enterprises’ Ed Catto will be hosting a Pulp Panel at the fourth annual New York Comic Con. The panel is designed to briefly touch on the historical aspects of Pulp Fiction, and then explore the exciting new initiatives based on this unique American art form.
“Today there’s such a strong interest in pulps across the spectrum. Certain fans are passionate for the historical prose while others devour new pulp fiction. And vintage pulp art and covers are more popular than ever”, said branding strategist Ed Catto. “From a marketing point of view, it’s a positive ray of hope in a difficult publishing landscape.”
Panelists for this unique gathering include:
* Anthony Tollin : Pulp Historian, Publisher – Sanctum, reprinting The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Avenger and The Whisperer
* Joe Gentile : Publisher- Moonstone Books and Author
* F.J. DeSanto : Co-Producer – the new Shadow and Doc Savage feature films, comic/manga Writer
* Ron Fortier : Publisher – Airship 27, and prolific comic/pulp Author
* Charles Ardai : Editor and Founder – Hard Case Crime, Author and Entrepreneur
* Mark Halegua : President- Gotham Pulp Collectors Club
* Stephen H. Segal : Editorial and Creative Director – Weird Tales
* Will Murray : Author/Historian, and Writer of seven Doc Savage novels (under the Kenneth Robeson byline)
Classic toys Captain Action, the Outer Space Men and Zeroids have announced a panel discussion at the fourth annual New York Comic Con. These iconic properties are also exhibiting at booths on the popular convention showroom in addition to this spotlight.
Captain Action will be returning to the New York Comic Con after a successful debut at last April’s convention. Since then, the franchise has expanded with more comics published, new toys, a collectible statue, Graphitti shirts and more. A spin-off series planned features the new Lady Action with fan favorite Kevin Maguire providing the cover.
“Everything old is new again, and fans are demanding more from these beloved properties,” said Captain Action Enterprises’ Ed Catto. “In addition, we’re also finding new readers jumping on board too.”
The Outer Space Men, originally introduced in 1968, are a series of seven poseable action figures. Created by Mel Birnkrant, these figures have been held dear in the hearts of fans for 40 years.
Now, Ex-Wall Streeter Gary Schaeffer has partnered with an extraordinary team of creative minds to bring back the characters in a new Graphic Novel and other exciting projects. The website, live since July, has become a destination for nostalgia fans.
“We decided to bring back the OSM and now for the 40th anniversary they have returned first in graphic novel form and soon the bendable action figures will be back. With writing by Eric Hayes and brilliant art from Rudolf Montemayor and Mark Borstel, it cannot be missed. Fans will meet some of the OSM characters that were never seen from the iconic and elusive second series: The World of the Future”, said Gary Schaffer the managing member of The Outer Space Men, LLC.
Writer, Eric C Hayes says “The process of breathing life into these beloved characters has been an exciting one. I’ve been truly fortunate to get to know these imaginative characters. Our journey began with the brief bios located on their packaging and continues with their inter-planetary adventures on the pages of their very own Graphic Novel.”
The Zeroids were also introduced in 1968, were billed as “robots from space”, and predecessors to properties such as The Transformers and Wall-E. This popular toy, always an eBay staple, will be returning in comic series written by Scott Beatty and Chuck Dixon and published by Moonstone Books. The comic debuts summer of 2009 and is followed by a full licensing push – including collectibles and apparel.
“This great concept has the ability to reach the nostalgia market, as well as the potential to find a new home with kids today”, said Captain Action’s Joe Ahearn. Joe, a noted toy creator, had also created the 1990’s hit Creepsters.
The panel will consist of both a nostalgic glimpse backward and exciting previews of upcoming programs. Panelists include:
· Gary Schaeffer: Publisher of the Outer Space Men Graphic Novel, and managing member
· Joe Gentile : Publisher- Moonstone Books and Author
· Joe Ahearn : Partner, Captain Action Enterprises and Toy Expert
. Eric Charles Hayes: Author of the Outer Space Men graphic novel
· Marc Borstel: Colorist, Letter : the Outer Space Men GN
· Ruben Procopio : Sculptor , Illustrator and Animator, Masked Avengers Studios