Today sees the release of DC Universe REBIRTH #1, a one shot that aims to change the way you see DC Comics. Written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Gary Frank, Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis, and Phil Jimenez, the 80-page special is a love letter to the fans, apologizing for years of stories that focused more on plot than character. Johns aims to make you see that Rebirth will bring HOPE back to the universe– does he succeed? Alex Lu, Brandon Montclare, and special guest Alex Jones of The Comics Beat discuss!
- 00:36 — Show begins!
- 03:26 — >> Spoilers begin here <<
- 08:00 — The mismatched goals of DC’s New 52 Initiative. Does Rebirth have a clearer aim?
- 13:00 — Rebirth: the event to end all events? (no)
- 19:40 — What does DC: Rebirth promise readers?
- 22:00 — The history Johns’ Rebirths– Green Lantern: Rebirth, The Flash: Rebirth, how does this play into our new Rebirth?
- 27:00 — Addressing the blue elephant in the room
- 32:50 — Interesting time to announce Geoff Johns is going to be overseeing the DC Comics films, huh?
- 36:00 — How does Rebirth #1 impact the future of DC Comics?
Every Wednesday, I talk about comics with Brandon Montclare, writer of the hit Image series Rocket Girl and co-writer of Marvel’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur series.
We gab about what we’re reading now, what books we consider classics (Brandon loves Dark Knight Strikes Again…), and the hottest gossip of the industry. Occasionally, the inimitable artist Amy Reeder (Rocket Girl, Batwoman) stops by. Check out our full show archive at podcornpodcast.com.
Intro/Outro music this week is Work by Rihanna, off her album Anti.
Visit rocketgirl.nyc for swag from Brandon and Amy!
Subscribe on iTunes so you never miss a…beat.
Alex is the Managing Editor of the Comics Beat. He is also a freelance comics editor with previous credits at Papercutz. He is your go-to fella for creator interviews, conversations about comic book structure, and general DC Comics nerding. Currently geeking out over movies, too.