By Todd Allen
Well, that went faster than I was expecting. At 2:50 PM PST, the Order of the Stick Reprint Drive is over the $1M mark.
$1,000,976 pledged by 12,101 backers. For print comic comparison, ICV2 estimates the January issue of Chew sold 12,012 copies.
Rich Burlew has released a few thoughts on where the extra money will be going:
From now until the end of the pledge drive, all money raised (minus the cost of the shipping rewards pledged during that period and the related Kickstarter fees) will go into a new general operating fund for Giant in the Playground. What will I do with it? I don’t know yet. I think I’ll need to recover from the drive for a few days before I even consider it. Here are some possibilities, though:
- Paying for warehouse space for the increased stock levels.
- Paying for any surprise expenses associated with fulfilling these orders because I am bad at math.
- Funding the next new OOTS book, whenever that is (it is not now).
- Funding a new selection of screen-printed t-shirts for Ookoodook.
- Prototyping fees for potential OOTS products that couldn’t be developed quickly enough for this pledge drive.
- Paying for secret projects that may or may not pan out but would be totally awesome if they did.
- Paying for the IT time needed to make long-overdue improvements to the Giant in the Playground website.
- Buying the most recent version of Adobe Illustrator.
- Buying a computer capable of running the most recent version of Adobe Illustrator (mine topped out two versions ago).
- Buying a Cintaq to speed up drawing time.
- Buying new crayons and Sharpie markers.
He might end up with a LOT of new crayons.
In all due seriousness, this jumped over the $1M point very quickly and with 42 hours to go, I’m not even going to try and guess where this ends up. I suppose the next question is whether someone else can duplicate this kind of response?