• ANN reports that Newtype USA, the glossy, oversized manga-culture magazine is to cease publication — but ADV will replace it.
Representatives of A.D. Vision (ADV) have contacted retail partners to inform them that the February issue of Newtype USA will be the last. At this time, it is unclear if this refers to the official February issue, which is set to go on sale later this month, or the March issue, which would go on sale in February.
According to reports from those contacted by ADV, the company is planning to replace Newtype USA with another magazine. No information about the new magazine has been made public.
UPDATE: The new magazine will be called PiQ according to a latter published on MangaBlog :
Thank you for your email to Newtype USA!
We will be launching a new magazine that will be on sale in mid-March. Titled PiQ, the magazine will cover anime, manga, video games and other aspects of pop culture of keen interests to you. All existing subscribers will have their remaining issues fulfilled at a two-to-one ratio, meaning you will get double the number of magazines delivered straight to your doorstep! We hope you stick with us and give the new magazine a shot. We’re sure you’ll love it!
• Fantagraphics Books will be relaunching their website any day now, and it sounds pretty slick:
Here are just a few of the things you can look forward to:
– Feature content (such as interviews and book spotlights)
– Real Flog permalinks
– Flog commenting
– All of our in-stock releases having individual pages that you can link to, with much more detailed information about our backstock, larger cover images that you can click to view, and previews of recent and selected books
– Better navigation with category pages for artists, series, interests, etc.
– Vastly improved Search
– Webcomics, expanded previews and specials available exclusively to registered users
Seriously, you’re going to plotz.