Some quickies from the mailbag and around:
• Steven Scott has been promoted to Director of Publicity and Marketing at Archie comics. Scott joined the Archie Comics PR team as Publicity and Marketing Coordinator last year following a stint at Marvel. Scott will supervise the company’s publicity outreach, social media, and marketing strategy, and he’s already been filling our inbox with newsy notes such as this one. Welcome!
• Actor and Icon George Takei and comics creator Dan Parent will be signing KEVIN KELLER #6 at Midtown Comics Times Square today from 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM. You will need a ticket for the signing. The issue involves gay Riverdaler Kevin Keller picking Takei as his idol, and a journey to a local convention to meet up.
• Sue of DCWKA notes that DC ran a preview at the Mary Sue, a progressive attempt at marketing to the female fan market. We join Sue in applauding this move.
• Jazan Wild, aka Jason Barnes likes to sue people over the fact that he once created a comic called CARNIVAL OF SOULS. A judge has refused to throw out one of the cases, a claim that Melissa Marr’s fantasy novel Carnival of Souls, infringes on his trademark. While you can’t trademark a title of a single work, the judge felt that Wild has created a series, which he did. Wild has also sued the TV shoes Heroes and a songwriter that he had a deal gone sour with. Wild is so busy suing, how does he find time to make comics?
UPDATE: The Schulz family lawyers have asked to remove the art, so removed it is.
• While his first marriage was breaking up, legendary Peanuts creator Charles Shulz had an affair with a younger woman, and the drawings he sent her are being auctioned off. Good grief, Daily Mail. It sounds icky, but the drawings are sweet. Can you imagine being romanced with original Peanuts drawings?
• Moonstone Comics has been around for a while, but they publish in fits and starts these days. But they are still around. In April they’ll publish DOMINO LADY/Sherlock Holmes #1 by Nancy Holder and Reno Maniquis, a DOMINO LADY: Blonde Bombshell collection by the same team plus Danny Sempere and LAI WAN: The Dreamwalker by CJ Henderson and Kieran Yanner. Here are some covers. Headlights!
Send your news notes to comicsbeat at gmail dot com