§ In case you missed the news, G4’s geek-oriented programming is going away, to replaced by an upscale “GQ” type channel which, we predict, will devolve into endless close-ups of motorcycle engines, eel-eating contests and women on trampolines shows in about 6 weeks. That means an end to “Attack of the Show,” the nerd-culture staple. Anyway, today marks the final episode of Blair Butler, definitely a pioneer in the very, very real “smart geek girl” category. She tweeted:
— Blair Butler (@theblairbutler) December 18, 2012
Will some actual cable channel arise to replace G4’s nerd coverage?
§ Dark Horse has announced new $1 editions for the first issues of both THE MASSIVE by Brian Wood and Kristian Donaldson and Matt Kindt’s MIND MGMT, both pretty excellent series from what we’ve seen. The new issues will be out in April.
§ Batman: The Dark Knight Returns,
Part 2, the second part of the adaptation of Frank Miller’s magnum opus, will be out on January 29, 2013 from Warner Home Video. Michael Emerson (Person of Interest, Lost) and Mark Valley (Human Target, Fringe) join the voice cast as The Joker and Superman. Michael Emerson as the Joker? Perfect casting. Peter Weller returns as Batman. Extras on the DVD/Blu-ray combo pack:
• Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
• Sneak Peek at Superman: Unbound, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
• Featurette – “The Joker: Laughing in the Face of Death” – An all-new featurette. A fitting tribute to the Joker, giving perspective as to why this engrossing character is the true arch nemesis of Batman.
• Documentary – “Superman vs. Batman: When Heroes Collide” – An all-new documentary. Batman and Superman have a long history of
friendship and conflict. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns brought an end to that conflict. This is the story behind that battle.
• Featurette – “From Sketch to Screen” – An all-new featurette. Director Jay Oliva gives a fascinating animatic breakdown of five of his favorite moments from Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
• Look Back – Sneak Peek at Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1
• Two bonus episodes from Batman: The Animated Series (“The Last Laugh” and “The Man Who Killed Batman”) and an episode from The New
Batman Adventures (“Legends of the Dark Knight”), all handpicked by producer Alan Burnett.
• Digital Comic – Excerpt from the graphic novel The Dark Knight Falls by Frank Miller.