About a month ago I took a “Snapshot” look at the best selling Amazon graphic novels. I look at this list every night about the same time, and it’s usually pretty similar to the list I published in January. However tonight, MANY CHANGES, and the usual backlist perennials are not in the top ten.
Just as the swallows return to Capistrano, LL Cool J returns to Cali, and all great Paul Verhoeven movies will eventually return to the screen in the form of unnecessary, horrible remakes, when THE WALKING DEAD TV show returns to AMC, the Walking Dead graphic novels return to the Amazon Best seller list! Here’s the list as of about midnight 2/13, with some commentary in red. Ntoe that to make the list you really only need to sell a few copies, so this doesn’t mean 100’s of books were sold.
1. The Walking Dead: Compendium Two by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard
2. The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard
3. Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations by Allie Brosh (TPB)
4. Me without You by Lisa Swerling and Ralph Lazar — This is a book of romantic cartoons — I guess it is a Valentine’s Day gifticle?
5. Alpha & Omega (Locke & Key) by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez
6. Saga, Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
7. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh (Kindle edition)
8. The Walking Dead Volume 20: All Out War by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard
9. The Walking Dead Volume 19 TP by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard
10. Injustice Year Two #3 by Tom Taylor and various
11. Saga, Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
12. How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You by Matthew Inman
13. Darth Vader and Son by Jeffrey Brown
14. Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann and Kerascoët — What th–! Drawn & Quarterly! This is a brilliant book, and it was spotlighted on Buzzfeed wih an extensive preview. I don’t want to give away the premise here but it’s grisly and irresistable. Okay, you may be able to figure it out from the above image. The moral of the story: if you have a high concept book, Buzzfeed is a great place to promote it.
15. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
16. Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
17. Star Wars: Vader’s Little Princess by Jeffrey Brown — As mentioned in a previous item, these Star Wars book by Brown are approaching perennial status.
18. Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
19. Maus I: A Survivor’s Tale by Art Spiegelman
20. The Sworn Sword: The Graphic Novel by George R. R. Martin, Ben Avery and Mike S. Miller