Although the comics industry seems to be hitting a rough patch, one thing that I noticed at last week retailer summit is that a bunch of people have just been hired as staffers to actually work in the comics business! And interestingly, many of them are working directly with comics retailers. I think if you’re going to invest money in your business at a time like this, investing in new employees who work directly with the people who buy your products is a pretty smart move. Here’s the new faces:
• Boom has hired former retailer Sam Kusek (left) as Direct Market Representative to work with retail accounts. Prior to joining Boom, Kusek was Events Coordinator at Comicazi in Somerville, MA
• Image has hired Jeff Stang, formerly of the Laughing Ogre, as Direct Market Sales Representative.
• Based on my inbox, Image also hired Briah Skelly,, formerly of Books Inc, as Publicity Assistant.
• Valiant hired Andrew Steinbeiser as Marketing Communications Manager, from Comicbook.com, following a popular trend of hiring marketing people from the ranks of comics website writers.
• A new person was also hired at Dynamite, but he (or she) remains a shadowy figure about whom little is known. I am just kidding, I didn’t meet him (or her) but hopefully someone will put the name and title the comments. Or else I made up the whole thing.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.