Another shoe has dropped with the post-Netflix Millar situation. Just a bit ago, we told you about the new Hit Girl series landing at Image. Now we’re informed that the original Kick-Ass series of TPBs are moving to Image under the title KICK-ASS: THE DAVE LIZEWSKI YEARS. Probably to better differentiate from the new series of Kick-Ass.
And so, the Kick-Ass migration to Image appears to be complete.
Official PR follows:
PORTLAND, OR, 11/21/2017 — Image Comics is pleased to announce that the bestselling trade paperback collections of the hit comic book series, KICK-ASS by comic book legends Mark Millar (KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE, HIT-GIRL) and artist John Romita Jr., will find a new home at Image Comics. KICK-ASS, VOL. 1-4 of the trade paperbacks will hit stores this February 2018—just in time for the February 10th anniversary of the series.
The beloved KICK-ASS series introduces teen comic book nerd Dave Lizewski, who dons his homemade Kick-Ass costume and takes to the streets of NYC to fight the city’s hardest criminals. This New York Times bestseller became a worldwide phenomenon overnight, spending three months at the top spot on the Diamond Direct Market chart and spawning the KICK-ASS movie that opened at No.1 in the box office.
To celebrate the launch of the new KICK-ASS series, all four volumes of KICK-ASS: THE DAVE LIZEWSKI YEARS are being released through Image Comics. Relive what happens when Dave Lizewski asks himself “How come nobody’s ever become a superhero before?” and makes his teenage superhero daydreams an ass-kicking reality.
A new ongoing monthly KICK-ASS comic by the series’ original creative team will launch concurrently with KICK-ASS: THE DAVE LIZEWSKI YEARS, VOL. 1-4 trade paperbacks all hitting stores from Image Comics. Two weeks later, superstar character Hit-Girl also gets her own monthly series from the creative team of Mark Millar and Ricardo Ortiz.
“Kick-Ass is the biggest thing I’ve ever had my name on. It just went crazy, and I loved writing these four books. Launching the new Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl monthlies from Image is incredibly exciting for me, and it makes absolute sense to have remastered editions of the original graphic novels out from Image too, all tweaked and reworked inside with brand-new covers. I can’t wait for these, and I bloody wrote the things.”
KICK-ASS trade paperbacks will be available in comic shops on Wednesday, February 14th and in bookstores on Tuesday, February 20th. The final order cutoff for comic shop retailers is Monday, January 8th.
- KICK-ASS: THE DAVE LIZEWSKI YEARS, Vol. 1, ISBN: 978-1-5343-0719-3, Diamond code: DEC170572
- KICK-ASS: THE DAVE LIZEWSKI YEARS, Vol. 2, ISBN: 978-1-5343-0720-9, Diamond code: DEC170573
- KICK-ASS: THE DAVE LIZEWSKI YEARS, Vol. 3, ISBN: 978-1-5343-0721-6, Diamond code: DEC170574
- KICK-ASS: THE DAVE LIZEWSKI YEARS, Vol. 4, ISBN: 978-1-5343-0722-3, Diamond code: DEC170575The new KICK-ASS #1 will be available on Wednesday, February 14th. The final order cutoff is Monday, January 22nd:
- KICK-ASS #1 Cover A by Romita, Jr., Diamond code: DEC170560
- KICK-ASS #1 Cover B B&W by Romita, Jr., Diamond code: DEC170561
- KICK-ASS #1 Cover C Limited Special Anniversary variant by Romita, Jr., Diamond code: DEC170562
- KICK-ASS #1 Cover D by Frank Quitely, Diamond code: DEC170563
- KICK-ASS #1 Cover E by Olivier Coipel, Diamond code: DEC170564
- KICK-ASS #1 Cover F black cover, Diamond code: DEC170565HIT-GIRL #1 will be available from Wednesday, February 21. The final order cutoff is Monday, January 29.
Todd Allen wears a lot of hats. At various times he’s been (alphabetically), a bouncer, college professor, humor columnist, Internet producer and an NBA/WNBA Beat Writer, among other things. He’s the author of Economics of Digital Comics. You should probably read it.