BEST GRAPHIC STORY (785 ballots)
- Ms. Marvel Vol 1: No Normal written by G. Willow Wilson, illustrated by Adrian Alphona and Jake Wyatt, (Marvel Comics)
- Rat Queens Volume 1: Sass and Sorcery written by Kurtis J. Weibe, art by Roc Upchurch (Image Comics)
- Saga, Volume 3 written by Brian K. Vaughan, illustrated by Fiona Staples (Image Comics)
- Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick written by Matt Fraction, art by Chip Zdarsky (Image Comics)
- Zombie Nation Book #2: Reduce Reuse Reanimate by Carter Reid (The Zombie Nation)
Attendees (and sponsors) of certain Worldcons are allowed to nominate and vote on the Hugo Awards.
(It’s a popularity contest, although the ideals state that this is an award of merit, to select the best in each category, voted on by fans. As with any fandom, there is contention and controversy, but we’ll ignore that all for now.)
What is interesting is that the voting results are released each year, right after the awards banquet.
Here are the results from last year’s Hugo Awards, listing titles which were nominated, as well as the final voting tallies.
Best Graphic Story (552 Ballots)
- 164 Saga, Volume 2 Written by Brian K. Vaughan, illustrated by Fiona Staples 29.7%
68 Schlock Mercenary: Broken Wind By Howard Tayler 12.3%*
- 36 “The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who” Written by Paul Cornell, illustrated by Jimmy Broxton 6.5%
- 36 “Time” By Randall Munroe 6.5%
- 28 The Meathouse Man Adapted from the story by George R.R. Martin and illustrated by Raya Golden 5.1%
- 28 Girl Genius, Volume 13: Agatha Heterodyne & The Sleeping City Written by Phil and Kaja Foglio; art by Phil Foglio; colors by Cheyenne Wright 5.1%
- 24 Locke & Key Vol. 6: Alpha & Omega Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodríguez 4.3%
- 23 Girl Genius 12: Agatha Heterodyne and the Siege of Mechanicsburg Phil and Kaja Foglio; Cheyenne Wright 4.2%
- 22 Boxers and Saints Gene Luen Yang and Lark Pien 4.0%
- 21 Spacetrawler Christopher Baldwin 3.8%
- 20 Young Avengers Vol. 1: Style > Substance Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie 3.6%
- 19 Nimona Noelle Stevenson 3.4%
- 18 Lazarus Vol. 1: Family Greg Rucka & Michael Lark 3.3%
- 16 Hawkeye Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon Matt Fraction, David Aja, Javier Pulido 2.9%
- 16 The Unwritten Vol. 7: The Wound Mike Carey & Peter Gross 2.9%
- 15 Gunnerkrigg Court Volume 4: Materia Thomas Siddell 2.7%
*Not eligible in 2013
[For the record, “Schlock Mercenary” was the Sad Puppies recommendation.]
Just 5% of the votes cast are required to make the final list!
So, how did the final voting precede?
2014 Final Results for Best Graphic Story
3,587 total voters. 25% cutoff = 897 voters.
2,344 valid votes cast in Category.
|Race for Position 1|
|Nominee||Pass 1||Pass 2||Pass 3||Pass 4||Pass 5||Runoff|
|Saga, Volume 2||566||566||597||667||810||0|
|Girl Genius, Volume 13||397||398||439||582||0||0|
|The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who||382||383||417||0||0||0|
|The Meathouse Man||186||187||0||0||0||0|
|Race for Position 2|
|Nominee||Pass 1||Pass 2||Pass 3||Pass 4|
|Saga, Volume 2||735||737||786||911|
|Girl Genius, Volume 13||582||586||637||865|
|The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who||498||500||550||0|
|The Meathouse Man||222||223||0||0|
|Race for Position 3|
|Nominee||Pass 1||Pass 2||Pass 3|
|Girl Genius, Volume 13||808||819||920|
|The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who||686||696||802|
|The Meathouse Man||300||304||0|
|Race for Position 4|
|The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who||1020|
|The Meathouse Man||443|
|Race for Position 5|
|The Meathouse Man||944|