The LA Times Book Prizes are among the most distinguished to have their own comics category, and the nominees are always worth a close look. This year’s finalists have just been announced. Books are selected in a number of categories, but here are the graphic novel selections:
- David B., “Incidents in the Night: Volume 1,” Uncivilized Books
- Ben Katchor, “Hand-Drying in America: And Other Stories,” Pantheon
- Ulli Lust, “Today is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life,” Fantagraphics
- Anders Nilsen, “The End,” Fantagraphics
- Joe Sacco, “The Great War: July 1, 1916: The First Day of the Battle of the Somme,” W. W. Norton & Co.
In addition, Gene Luen Yang’s Boxers and Saints was selected in the Young Adult Literature category.
Last year, Sammy Harkham won for Everything Together: Collected Stories. Previous winners include Carla Speed McNeill and Adam Hines.
Winners will be announced April 11 during the L.A. Times Festival of Books, April 12-13.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.