The LA Times Book Prizes are among the most distinguished to have their own comics category, and the nominees are always worth a close look. This year’s finalists have just been announced. Books are selected in a number of categories, but here are the graphic novel selections:
- David B., “Incidents in the Night: Volume 1,” Uncivilized Books
- Ben Katchor, “Hand-Drying in America: And Other Stories,” Pantheon
- Ulli Lust, “Today is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life,” Fantagraphics
- Anders Nilsen, “The End,” Fantagraphics
- Joe Sacco, “The Great War: July 1, 1916: The First Day of the Battle of the Somme,” W. W. Norton & Co.
In addition, Gene Luen Yang’s Boxers and Saints was selected in the Young Adult Literature category.
Last year, Sammy Harkham won for Everything Together: Collected Stories. Previous winners include Carla Speed McNeill and Adam Hines.
Winners will be announced April 11 during the L.A. Times Festival of Books, April 12-13.