While some of us reading this will be chewing gruel in a rest home by then, Disney has just announced two as-yet-unnamed Marvel films for the future:
UNTITLED MARVEL FILMS
We’ve also announced dates for two UNTITLED MARVEL films (5/6/16 and 5/5/17), in line with Marvel’s successful tradition of opening films in early May, including the billion-dollar hits MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS and Marvel’s IRON MAN 3. We look forward to announcing more details about these films as well as the sequel to THE AVENGERS (opening 5/1/15) at a later date.
Marvel’s current release schedule looks like this:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Columbia)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (20th Century Fox)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Untitled Fantastic Four reboot (20th Century Fox)
What could those two other movies be? Thor 3 and Dr Strange? Black Panther? Our guess? One will be The Inhumans. Marvel’s Phase Three—or the era of “totally unknown comics characters that only we can make awesome” kicks off later next year with Edgar Wright’s Ant-Man.
Let the speculation begin!
Disney also announced some other release dates for previously announced films. Of these, the ones we’re most excited about: Rob Marshall directing Stephen Sondheim’s genius fairy tale musical INTO THE WOODS with Johnny Depp, Emily Blunt, and Meryl Streep. Also Brad Bird’s live action “Tomorrowland” from a script by Damon Lindelof and Bird starring George Clooney. Hm.
Complete list below:
SAVING MR. BANKS (Disney)
· Now opens 12/13/13 limited. The previously announced 12/20/13 wide playdate is unchanged.
· Inspired by true events, SAVING MR. BANKS is the extraordinary, untold story of how Disney’s classic MARY POPPINS made it to the screen—and the testy relationship that the legendary Walt Disney had with author P.L. Travers that almost derailed it.
MUPPETS MOST WANTED (Disney)
· MUPPETS MOST WANTED is the final title of the follow-up to 2011’s THE MUPPETS. The previously announced 3/21/14 wide playdate is unchanged.
· Starring Ricky Gervais, Ty Burrell and Tina Fey, Disney’s MUPPETS MOST WANTED takes the entire Muppets gang on a global tour where they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime caper.
PLANES: FIRE & RESCUE (Disney)
· Now dated on 7/18/14 wide in 3D.
ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY (Disney)
· Now dated on 10/10/14 wide.
· Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner have been cast.
· 21 Laps and The Jim Henson Company are producing.
· Miguel Arteta is directing.
· ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY, based on the award-winning children’s book by Judith Viorst, follows young Alexander through the mishaps of a terrible day for his family after he wishes they all would experience the same troubles he does.
· Moves to 12/12/14 wide (from 12/19/14 wide).
· The film is being directed by Brad Bird and written and produced by Bird and Damon Lindelof.
· George Clooney, Hugh Laurie, Raffey Cassidy and Thomas Robinson have been cast.
INTO THE WOODS (Disney)
· Now dated on Thursday, 12/25/14 wide.
· Rob Marshall is directing.
· INTO THE WOODS, based on the Tony-winning original musical by James Lapine and Stephen Sondheim, surrounds a baker and his wife’s quest to break a witch’s curse in order to start a family. Along the way, they encounter several well-known fairy tale characters, and together they learn what happens after “happily ever after”.
THE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY (DreamWorks)
· Now dated on 8/8/14 wide.
• Lasse Hallstrom is directing.
• Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey and Juliet Blake producing.
• THE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY, based on the international best-selling book by Richard C. Morais, tells the story of an Indian boy living in France who becomes the culinary apprentice to his father’s rival.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.