By Todd Allen
Fine. You heard about some cancellations. You heard about Marvel Now. There’s a few more interesting things in today’s Marvel October solicitations. For my money, the most significant non-trumpeted news is the debut of the Dexter comic. Yes, Dexter the serial killer from the long-running Showtime series. And it’s written by the novelist who created the character.
Dexter #1 (of 5)
Written by JEFF LINDSAY
Penciled and Inked by DALIBOR TALAJIc
Cover BY TBD
Variant Cover by TBA
• Dexter Morgan is not just an above-average forensic blood spatter expert. He’s also Miami’s friendly neighborhood crime-fighting serial killer!
• But Dexter’s “killing” streak gets put on hold, as he find himself trapped in a sticky situation – his high school reunion!
• The Skid Row Slasher, Miami’s newest serial killer, is racking up quite the body count. The rookie is giving good ol’ Dexter a run for his money.
• And Dexter’s problems are only beginning to multiply as his Dark Passenger, Dexter’s inner voice, screams for a little murderous fun to feed the need!
32 PGS./Rated Parental Advisory …$3.99
Copyright © by Jeff Lindsay. All rights reserved.
I was under the impression “Jeff Lindsay” was a pen name, so I’m not sure that copyright is quite accurate, but it’s always interesting seeing someone else’s copyright in the middle of a Marvel solicitation. At any rate, Marvel did pretty well with Castle graphic novels and they might have a chance to make some impact with this. Possibly moreso when the collected edition hits, although in the age of eBooks, this has some mainstream digital potential if the price doesn’t cause non-Direct Market consumers to scratch their heads.
There’s plenty of not-necessarily Marvel Now movement in the Avengers titles. Avengers and New Avengers (4 issues combined in October) are entering an arc called “End Times,” which is likely the last Bendis arc in those books. I’m sure this will be spelled out in the next couple of days.
Here’s an interesting listing:
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE #8
Brian Michael Bendis (W) • Mark Bagley (A&C)
Bagley and Bendis’ Final Issue!
• The explosive conclusion to the Avengers’ cosmic odyssey!
• Will the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy be able to stop Thanos from his quest to make Earth the throne world of his new empire?
• The explosive fallout of the storyline will change one of the Avengers’ lives forever as a brand-new Marvel initiative spins out of this bombastic series.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
Guardians of the Galaxy movie rumors. Rumors about Bendis writing a Guardians of the Galaxy comic. Well, it looks like he IS writing the Guardian of the Galaxy, at least in Avengers Assembled and that sure does sound like it matches rumors that Bendis is going to be writing some cosmic material. I expect this will also be cleared up before Monday.
The “.1” initiative appears to be alive and well with Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 16.1. I’m not sure how much attention it will get in the middle of Marvel Now, but it’s there.
I know there are a lot of Bendis haters in the comment sections, but I thourougly enjoyed his Daredevil run, and even though it’s another End Times comics… that’s a really interesting creative team:
Daredevil: End of Days #1 (of 8)
BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS & DAVID MACK (W)
KLAUS JANSON & BILL SIENKIEWICZ (A)
Cover BY ALEX MALEEV
variant cover BY DAVID MACK
Collage Variant by PASCAL GARIN
Variant Cover by TBA
• Revealed at last…how it ends for the Man without Fear!
• In the near future, investigative reporter Ben Urich has one last story to write – what was Matt Murdock’s the final secret?
• A story years in the making brought to you by some of the greatest creators in Daredevil history!
40 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
Look! Another Jim Starlin reprint project!
SPACEKNIGHTS #1 (of 3)
Written by JIM STARLIN & CHRIS BATISTA
CHRIS BATISTA (A)
Cover by CHRIS BATISTA
• The planet Galador rebuilds its elite defense force, recruiting a new generation of Spaceknights!
• Can Balin and Tristan, sons of legendary Spaceknight Starshine, live up to the legend of their family name?
• Collecting SPACEKNIGHTS (2000) #1-2.
48 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
Here’s another launch I would’ve thought would get a little more build-up, but may be buried under the Marvel Now initiative. I mean, Wolverine comics used to be big news.
WOLVERINE: MAX #1
JASON STARR (w) • CONNOR WILLUMSON (a)
Cover by JOCK
Variant Cover by TBA
ALL-NEW ONGOING SERIES!
• Your favorite X-Man done the way you wanted to see him – in a no-holds-barred MAX series!
• Written by award-winning crime novelist Jason Starr (PUNISHER MAX, The Chill)
• In modern-day Tokyo, Logan gets pulled into a terrorist’s plot…or was he the target all along?
• A new look at Wolverine’s past!
32 PGS./Explicit Content …$3.99
Todd Allen wears a lot of hats. At various times he’s been (alphabetically), a bouncer, college professor, humor columnist, Internet producer and an NBA/WNBA Beat Writer, among other things. He’s the author of Economics of Digital Comics. You should probably read it.