By Todd Allen
With the March (issue 7) solicitations out, we have a little better idea of what the first round of changes for the New 52/DCnU are. Some of these departures are thought to be the writer choosing to leave (Simone, Brandon) and some appear to be the writer getting the quick hook Gates). When these change decisions were made, there has been history of collected edition sale and it may be a little early to judge digital sales. (Do we know what happens to sales when the titles drop to $1.99? This is new enough, you’d really like to see more than 2-3 months of digital sales before trusting it.)
So what kind of changes are we looking at?
- Green Arrow: JT Krul off / Ann Nocenti on
- Men of War: Ivan Brandon off / New permanent writer not announced
- Legion Lost: Fabian Nicieza off / Tom DeFalco on
- Firestorm: Gail Simone off (as co-writer) / Joe Harris on (as co-writer)
- Stormwatch: Paul Cornell off / New permanent writer not announced
- Static Shock: John Rozum and Scott McDaniel off / Marc Bernardin on
- Hawk and Dove: Sterling Gates off / Rob Liefeld on
- Voodoo: Ron Marz off / Josh Williamson on
- Savage Hawkman – James Bonny added as co-writer starting with issue 5
Artist changes are a little harder to keep track of, since the relaunch appears to have been launched on short notice and the lack of lead time has already led to guest artists. Issue #7’s solicited with a different artist than issue #1 (in some cases, this is a temporary artist and the regular will be back, like Gene Ha filling in on Justice League for Jim Lee). 21% of the new 52 have a different artist on issue 7. That isn’t 21% permanent artist changes, but this is what it is for March.
- Grifter – #1: CAFU; #7 Scott Clark and Dave Beatty
- Suicide Squad – #1 Marco Rudy; #7 Clayton Henry
- Blackhawks – #1 Ken Lashley; #7 CAFU and Bit
- Men of War – #1 Tom Derenick; #7 Scott Kolins and Phil Winslade
- Green Lantern Corps – #1 Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna; #7 Claude St. Aubin and Scott Hanna
- Batwoman – #1 J.H. Williams III; #7 Amy Reeder and Rob Hunter
- Superman – #1 George Perez and Jesus Merino; Dan Jurgens and Jesus Merino
- Justice League -#1 Jim Lee and Scott Williams #7 Gene Ha and Gary Frank
- The Fury of Firestorm – #1 Yildiray Cinar; #7 Ethan Van Sciver
- Green Arrow – #1 Dan Jurgens and Norm Rapmund; #7 Harvey Tolibao
- Mister Terrific – #1 Roger Robinson; #7 Gianluca Gugliotta and Wayne Faucher
17% writer changes, 21% artist changes… well, now you have a score card for it.
Todd Allen wears a lot of hats. At various times he’s been (alphabetically), a bouncer, college professor, humor columnist, Internet producer and an NBA/WNBA Beat Writer, among other things. He’s the author of Economics of Digital Comics. You should probably read it.