ComicsPRO, the trade association for comics specialty retailers, proudly announces the nominees for its annual Comic Industry Awards. The awards honor those people who are or have been the best at what they do, making a significant difference in the business of the comic-book specialty market.
There are two categories for the ComicsPRO Awards, the Industry Appreciation Award for active professionals in the industry and the Memorial Award to recognize giants of the comics business who are no longer with us. The 2018 ComicsPRO Industry Award nominees are:
Industry Appreciation Award
· Raina Telgemeier. Her blockbuster best-selling graphic novels, including Smile, Sisters, Drama and Ghosts are leading the way in exciting and igniting new and younger comics readers.
· Gene Luen Yang. The first graphic novelist to be named The Library of Congress’ Ambassador for Young People’s Literature, Gene is also a recipient of a MacArthur Foundation “genius” grant and is the creative force of many graphic novels including American Born Chinese and the Secret Coders series, as well as the co-creator of DC Comics’ New Super-Man.
· DC Comics Retail Support Team. The DC Comics Retail Support Team work tirelessly to give comics retailers the information and tools to build their DC business.
· Adam Freeman. As Director of Sales at Valiant Entertainment, Adam has been instrumental in helping spread the word to retailers and the public about the Valiant Universe. Freeman is a former retailer and has worked for various other publishers in his career
(with apologies for the all too brief credits for these titanic talents!)
· Steve Dillon (Deadline, Preacher, Punisher)
· Len Wein (Writer/editor, co-creator Wolverine, Swamp Thing)
· Carl Barks (Scrooge McDuck creator, the “Good Duck Artist”)
· Bernie Wrightson (Frankenstein, co-creator Swamp Thing, seminal horror artist)
“The ComicsPRO Industry Awards are packed with nominees who have done so much for comics and for comics retailers,” said Peter Dolan, ComicsPRO’s President. “ComicsPRO and its member retailers are all filled with gratitude for the important work of these creatives and business professionals.”
ComicsPRO members will vote on the nominees with the results announced at the 2018 ComicsPRO Comic Industry Conference in Portland OR February 22-24.
At the annual meeting, the ComicsPRO Board Of Directors will also posthumously present the first ever ComicsPRO Unsung Hero Award to Diamond’s Outside Sales Manager Dave Hawskworth. Hawksworth’s career spanned 30 years, initially working at Capital City Distribution’s Columbus OH warehouse, before transitioning to Diamond Comic Distributors outside sales manager position when Diamond bought Capital City in 1996. Dave passed away unexpectedly on January 9, 2018. ComicsPRO is honored to have Dave’s wife Patti attend the Portland event to accept the award.
The ComicsPRO Unsung Hero Award will be given at the discretion of the ComicsPRO Board of Directors to those in the comics industry the Board deems worthy of special recognition beyond mere praise as a result of their tireless efforts to improve the comics industry.
Todd Allen wears a lot of hats. At various times he’s been (alphabetically), a bouncer, college professor, humor columnist, Internet producer and an NBA/WNBA Beat Writer, among other things. He’s the author of Economics of Digital Comics. You should probably read it.