• ICv2 publisher Milton Griepp will present the company’s Comic Industry White Paper at C2E2 on Friday at 12:15 in room E350 at C2E2. The annual ICv2 White Paper, which has been presented for the last four years at New York Comic Con, is the definitive source of information each year on the comics business. Highlights include:
Comic market size estimate
Graphic novel market size estimate
Manga market size estimate
Underlying trends and dynamics
Outlook for 2010
• Artist Ryan Kelly will be debuting his new comic PUNKS at his table in Artists Alley, K-9. More info here.
• Threadless (Booth #938) will be promoting a new line of T-shirts by Jill Thompson and Cliff Chiang.
• New-tech movie studio Halo-8 is holding a panel. Ben Templesmith (30 Days of Night) and Tim Seeley (Hack/Slash) will join Matt Pizzolo (Godkiller) and FJ DeSanto (producer, The Spirit, upcoming The Shadow) to talk about “Halo-8: Illustrated Films & Comics” at 7:45 pm on Friday, followed by the world premiere of the film Godkiller, an “illustrated film” starring genre-heroes Lance Henriksen (Aliens), Danielle Harris (Halloween 4, 5, I, II), Bill Moseley (The Devil’s Rejects), Nicki Clyne (Battlestar Galactica), Tiffany Shepis (Night of the Demons), alt-culture icon Lydia Lunch (Hardcore), and rockstars Justin Pierre (singer of Motion City Soundtrack) and Davey Havok (singer of AFI).
• 20 minutes of footage from the documentary GRANT MORRISON DOCUMENTARY: TALKING WITH GODS, held Saturday in room E271A from 1:45 to 2:45 pm. Director, Patrick Meaney will chat about the making of the film.
• Nerdcore idols Kirby Krackle will be playing Saturday night at the show with Joe Quesada:
Nerd Rockers KIRBY KRACKLE have teamed up with indy sensation JIM MAHFOOD to cover their sophomore album “E FOR EVERYONE” (featuring the hit Green Lantern song “Ring Capacity”). Best known for his work on Kevin Smith’s Clerks comics and his own creator-owned Grrl Scouts comics, Mahfood is also currently working on a Spider-Man project for Marvel Comics.
Kirby Krackle is a nerd rock duo from Seattle, WA comprised of Jim Demonakos and Kyle Stevens. The band is on tour supporting their new release and will be playing PopCulTour 2 in Chicago this weekend of C2E2. The performance will feature the full live band also guest start Marvel Comics Editor-In-Chief JOE QUESADA, who performed with the band at the Emerald City Comicon (where he gave out cryptic guitar picks to promote his upcoming Marvel Comics project “O.M.I.T.”)
Upcoming dates to see the band:
April 16-18, Chicago – C2E2
April 24-25, Calgary, Canada – Calgary Expo
May 27-30, Phoenix – Phoenix Comicon
June 4-6, Charlotte – Heroes Con
July 22-25, San Diego – San Diego Comic Con
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.