Did you get some money from Memaw and Pepaw for Christmas? If you’re not going to spend it on a comics shop, howabout buying Kevin Eastman’s art studio?
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator is auctioning off all the contents of his art studio — located within Meltdown Comics — with 20% of the proceeds to go to the Hero Initiative. Eastman gives a tour of the overflowing contents of the studio in the very entertaining video above. Among the anecdotes he drops along the way — he once owned a Batmobile and his goal was to dress in a complete Batman costume and drive up to the 7-11 for a pack of smokes in full Batman gear — a dream sadly unrealized.
Here’s some of what you will win in this treasure trove of ’90s and ’00s nostalgia.
* Kevin’s Drawing Table and Chair (table is as it was when Kevin decided to do this auction). Includes Pens, Shotglasses, Empty Redbull Cans, etc.
* Original Illustrated Storyboards for HEAVY METAL 2000
* Highlander Animated Series: press pack, Early Cut of the Movie, Copies of entire Movie as Directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri
* Over 600 DVDs – most of them partially watched while working on art in the studio. Includes DVD deck and monitor.
* Double-Sized Production Prototype of OZZY OSBOURNE “Bark At The Moon” Action Figure sculpted by Digger T. Mesch
* Photocopy of Simon Bisley’s Lobo/Authority Pencils & Layout for the entire story
* 2 Pgs of Original Art from TNMT Movie Adaptation – 1 Featuring Twin Towers – 1 Featuring Statue of Liberty – Framed with US Flag from Kevin’s Home
* Richard Corben Original Art (at least two pieces – there may be more!)
* Signed Elizabeth Hurly Photo from Austin Powers.
* Kevin’s personal San Diego Comic Con Badges going back about 10 years
* Various Movie Posters – Comic Prints – and More . . . used to “wallpaper” the studio!
* Toy Guns, Knives and a Hand-Grenade (non-functional) used as reference for comics
* Original art portrait of Kevin by Simon “BIZ” Bisley (there’s actually quite a bit of BIZ art in here!)
* Trigun, Lain, and other favorite Anime Animation Cells
* A Fishtank (formerly held Kevin’s gecko) filled with various odds and ends tossed in over a six year period – ???
* TMNT Comic 5-Color Press Proof Overlays (from back in the days before digital press proofs)
* Box of Original Photos of Playmates & Models (mostly nude) – Photography by Julie Strain
* Turtles Car Windshield Sunblock – Still in Original Shrinkwrap
* Turtles Cereal Box (cardboard mock up – never assembled)
* TONS of random Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles goodies . . . prototypes . . . and oddities
* Original Comic Art by Various Creators
* Statues & Action Figures – – Pin-Up, Fantasy, Superhero, Turtles (natch) and more!
* Various Billiken Models From Japan (Frankenstein, Dracula, Creature, Mummy and MORE)
* LOTS OF HEAVY METAL ART . . . BOOKS . . . UNUSED TREASURES!
* and so much more . . . some of these boxes have not even been opened. Who knows what lurks inside?!
The auction ends on January 4th at which time a big blowout party will be thrown at Meltdown.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.