I am not kidding…I am too busy to spend much time on this women in comics thing today or tomorrow. And with Fleet Week beginning…my week just got crazier.
In the meantime, a few people wrote to get my thoughts on last night’s LOST finale, and here are some brief observations. SPOILER! I MEAN IT! SPOILERS IN THE JUMP!
First off, I went over and watched this on Dino’s HD TV…man people look nasty in HD! But Hawaiian landscapes look awesome!
* We figured out the twist ending about halfway through when I spotted Jack with a Razr. They hadn’t made Razr’s when flight 813 took off, and the producers would never throw in such an obvious 2007 shibboleth.
* I think the flashforward is taking place in the fairly present day.
* I think the island has magical healing powers and makes people Immortals, like Patchy, who can survive anything, and soon Locke. THat is why Patchy is the only surviving member of the Dharma Initiative. Not everyone on the island becomes an Immortal, although it gives mutant healing factor to most people..unless you are a manipulative shit like Ben! I think Jack is an immortal. Even though he is not on the island any more, I think he retains some of his powers. His carelessness around cars, for instance. Also…that was a lot of Oxycontin! You can OD on that stuff! Also…dark beard. Also…RICHARD!
* Charlie’s death was very sad and well done. Of course, he could have closed the door the OTHER way and gotten some scuba gear from Desmond…but he knew he had to sacrifice himself by then.
*Go Hurley! Hurley looks esp. gnarly in HD!
* I do not think the funeral was for Locke. I think Locke stays on the island. Jack and Locke are Faith and Reason…they cannot go the same way.
* The last scene with Jack and Kate was so awesome. . I love the stories that show that no one can ever live happily ever after, because there is no after. It was sad and creepy and yet tender at the same time. They want us to think “He” is Sawyer…but maybe it’s Ben! Ben did make her wear a summer dress after all.
* Jack’s dad. Hm. We know dead people appear on the island, and they never found Christian’s body. Knowing the flashforward trick, half of the times when Jack mentioned his dead it was a Sixth Sense kinda thing, where the people looked at him like ” Jack are you high on oxycontin? Your dad is DEAD!” Obviously there is more to this than meets the eye.
*Naomi’s boat/Penny…boy I don’t know what is up with this! Although I will say that if an attractive new woman cast member is introduced, she is sure to be dead within four episodes — the new RED SHIRT.
Over all…a great ending, some haunting scenes, and with the set 3 year 48 ep. structure…the statues and the aliens, the temple and Jacob will be the focus of Season 4. I look forward to the ride.
UPDATE: Oh yeah…”Scentless Apprentice!”